let me introduce myself

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boombipbass

hi i am larry,

i am quite a newbie in electornics, did some succesfull diy kits on thonk for eurorack and occassionally could help a friend out if a tr606 knob was broken to replace it and such.

i am quite a prolific musician and gearhead though and am learning more and more about soldering, diy and repair.(unfortunately mostly by destroying my own stuff)
for example removing a pcb for inspection and then letting it sit there and losing all screws and after a month or so realizing you have absolutely no clue how to put it back and how to connect everything lol.

and i can recall a day when i found a korg poly 61 at a dump (lucky me) but it is reknown for its battery leakage. eventually i managed to fix it but i never thought about using citric acid to clean the pcb only isopropyl alcohol, so eventually the board deteriorated more, and on top of that the battery started leaking again.

at that point i gave it a good clean and just thought let me just replace all components where the pcb is somewhat affected so I removed the components but then just put them somewhere in a bag and due to my adhd started something else...

..as you might've guessed I lost them, and the schematics of the Korg Poly 61 are pretty terrible to read too! but I suppose its still fixable, but first I need to invest in a normal new battery that wouldnt leak again though!

eventually I got in contact with the uncle of a high school friend of mine who is practically a tech wizard (university degree et all) and he helps me out every now and then. together we sorta made a Teletronix LA2A from a Harris & Gates Solid Statesman FM Broastcasting Limiter.(even though the latter is trasistorbased ofcourse)
but we adjusted the recovery time to be most like the Teletronix.

For now I bought an Akai S612 which always was on my list and I could only wish I bought it back then when I bought my Akai S950 because I bought that one for 100 euro haha. But I got scammed because even though it does in fact look like brand new it doesn't show any input when connected to a source. I am a bit scared to do something with it and also a bit too scared to ask my friend since he does everything without asking anything in return(in case of the mod project meantioned earlier it was basically making the schematics because we couldn't find them anywhere(and I must add I did gave him a cool gift namely the Sensepeek PCBite kit with the 4 probes : https://sensepeek.com/pcbite-20 prrretty cool! ) ..

Last but not least I also have quite some walkmans from sony, yes the sexy walkmans wm-d6c(but one of the inputs for recording is busted :-( , 3 sony dd33's and a wm-d3 which I all thought I could repair the typical cracked thingy from, and so far I haven't got even one that's working properly (yaaayyyy)

So that's basically my story on DIY, Soldering et all.

Oh and eventually I replaced my Akai S950 LCD and the floppy drive for a gotek one and now all of a sudden it only gives abracadabra symbols on the screen so yeah... I am not really sure what I am doing here but i suppose it could only get better?🫠

Welcome, Larry!

make sure that all jumpers on floppy is set right - there's many, many standards for that...
You mean for the gotek? Well basically I've this feeling I got sold a faulty version since even the inventor and me of the gotek couldnt figure out how to make it work. the more serious issue lies in the algebraic numbers appearing on the s950 when I turn it on, but I will open up a post for that later =)

Latest posts

Back