GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like a way to turn it off completely. It only makes the thread format longer and doesn't show any valuable information.

star_ratings.png

And where's the thumbs down?

Firstly, I'd like to say that I have nothing but an abiding respect for the way Ethan runs the site. It's the finest of its kind on the web by far (friendliest, most knowledgeable).

If I'm honest, I think the 'like' feature is cheesy and introduces unnecessary clutter. I also think that the feature for 'liking' a particular member could distract newbies, making them pay more attention to that which is written by people with the most 'likes' as opposed to figuring out what makes most academic sense.

No biggie, but IMHO, me no likey.

Justin

hmmm...

Yeah I don't mind so much the ability to like posts, could maybe help find useful info quicker in a long thread. The liking members thing does seem a little strange though, but I just say that because nobody likes me....

adeptusmajor said:
hmmm...

Yeah I don't mind so much the ability to like posts, could maybe help find useful info quicker in a long thread. The liking members thing does seem a little strange though, but I just say that because nobody likes me....

Sorted  ;D

Getting better search results is an admirable goal, but how exactly is this "like" tag going to help? People will tag for different reasons and facebook is an awful standard. I personally have no use for a barometer that basically counts funny catch phrases witty responses.

Kingston said:
Getting better search results is an admirable goal, but how exactly is this "like" tag going to help? People will tag for different reasons and facebook is an awful standard. I personally have no use for a barometer that basically counts funny catch phrases witty responses.

+1

IMHO this kind a feature is just trendy nonsense in the otherwise so clever community. Dislike but doesen't kill me neither...

-Paavo

Will a person's 'likes' from the Brewery be carried over to the technical forums? If so, someone who's a bit of a comedian, but may not have a massive amount of technical knowledge, could appear (to newbies, particularly) an authority over someone who really knows their onions because this person has more 'likes'...

Dislike but doesen't kill me neither...

Ditto.

Like any feature, it is what YOU make it.
If you use it to 'like' useful posts, it will become useful. If you use it to like nonsense, it will help you find more nonsense faster.
If you don't care for it, don't use it.
It was a feature suggested by members to help cut down on the clutter of additional posts that merely say "Thanks, +1, etc..."

Yea, the point here is it should really help, helpful post rise to the surface. Has anyone lately tried to sift through the massive GSSL or 1176 threads ?? its a lot to digest. So hopefully this will hlep that.

Just because its new doesn't mean its bad... 8) 8) :D

I think it's pretty obvious , designed to REDUCE the clutter of people adding to threads by saying thanks
[ and adding another , unhelpful post ]  Then again , Some people do just like to hear themselves talk or
feel the need to have a voice and express themselves somewhere ,  The grp's all about helping and being positive , no ?
In Phase ...........

thermionic said:
Firstly, I'd like to say that I have nothing but an abiding respect for the way Ethan runs the site. It's the finest of its kind on the web by far (friendliest, most knowledgeable).

If I'm honest, I think the 'like' feature is cheesy and introduces unnecessary clutter. I also think that the feature for 'liking' a particular member could distract newbies, making them pay more attention to that which is written by people with the most 'likes' as opposed to figuring out what makes most academic sense.

No biggie, but IMHO, me no likey.

Justin

I have seen the "like" function employed on another website and in my experience it reduces clutter by allowing a simple way to show that you agree with someones comments, without adding another mostly empty +1 post to a thread.

The like count is nothing more than that, and posters technical credibility is not a popularity contest (or a post count number). The internet experience is based on personal judgement and ability to separate the wheat from the chaff.  Free advice is generally worth exactly what you pay for it, Caveat Lector.

JR

Great simple addition, I like being able to show my appreciation without having to make a pointless "thanks" post.

Gearslutz has a 5 star thread rankings which I use for the best and worst posts (5 star or 1/0, forget which the lowest rating is).

I don't think the list of names at the bottom of each post helps much, but I guess it doesn't hurt a lot either. Could just have the list of names show if you hover the # of likes (to be shown beside the like button)?

It's an interesting social experiment in a focused community like this, rather than the population at large.  I'm interested to see how it develops!

One quick usability note - if I go to a forum and sort by likes, it sorts from low to high first and then I have to hit it again to sort the other way.  Not sure if that's easy to flip around, but we have so many topics spanning the years that most will have zero likes forever so low to high won't ever be useful.

Brian

Of note , here in the brewery , is for opinions , so blast away
I wouldn't take the like as a rating for posts but more so to show appreciation and encourage
[ people like Brian  ]  to know that their posts are getting attention , rating would be fairly subjective
but to keep build threads streamlined or gauge interest  ....................

thermionic said:
Will a person's 'likes' from the Brewery be carried over to the technical forums?

The way it is set up, it is just to be the thread / posts that is 'liked', and not the person.

zebra50 said:
thermionic said:
Will a person's 'likes' from the Brewery be carried over to the technical forums?

The way it is set up, it is just to be the thread / posts that is 'liked', and not the person.

It is in its revised incarnation, but not earlier. Either way, I reckon our host is doing a very good job and I'd hate to appear nit-picky. Keep up the good work, Ethan!

Justin

Back