Living in NOLA

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbey road d enfer

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Hi,
Some of you may remember a thread I had begun two years ago, triggered by an opportunity to buy property in Louisiana
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=53128.0
After some re-thinking, I am now the happy owner of a small condo in the French Quarter of New Orleans. I visited it last April and now the sales is closed. I intend to live there about 3-4 months a year from January to April.
Thanks to all who helped me in making that decision.

Congrats... except for the humidity. and hurricanes, and sea level, there is a lot to say good for NOLA.  Back when my knee was healthy I typically ran the Crescent City Classic, a flat as a board 10k foot race. with beer and jumbalaya at the finish line.  Out by Audubon Park, with free beer on the riverboat ride back downtown..  ;D ;D ;D

Only concern about the French Quarter is where in the quarter?.One end is heavy tourist and some other parts are less well policed,

I thought about buying a place down there after Katrina  took a bite out of the city and it is now smaller than it was, for better or worse. I may see you down there some day.  8)

It's hard to find a bad meal down there. You need to sample a debris sandwich from Mother's down in the quarter. I am not a big fan of chicory coffee but the beignets are OK at Cafe du monde...

JR

Congrads... You will be in the french quarter which is the higher ground in the city so the hurricanes and floods  and other water hazards tend to not be as worrisome.  Yes beignets at the cafe du monde are not bad and it is open 24/7. Best part of that area is the history. So much history, so much of it on the bad side of things from dr. lalaurie to the nuns convent. Last time I was in NOLA I got talked into taking a ghost tour. While a lot of it was exaggerated at the core was truth which was very interesting to hear about.  It's a city I love in the fact just about everywhere in and out of the pubs/bars,etc there is music and again a lot of history which I also love to read about. 

JohnRoberts said:
Congrats...
Thanks.
except for the humidity. 
that's why I intend to live there only for the end of winter/spring period.
Only concern about the French Quarter is where in the quarter?.One end is heavy tourist and some other parts are less well policed,
Best part IMO; Barracks, between Bourbon and Royal, 3 blocks from the french market, 3 blocks from Frenchmen, and well away from the agitation of the Toulouse/Bourbon corner.
I thought about buying a place down there after Katrina  took a bite out of the city and it is now smaller than it was, for better or worse. I may see you down there some day.  8)
Yes, I know you're not far away. We may create an occasion in due time.
It's hard to find a bad meal down there. You need to sample a debris sandwich from Mother's down in the quarter.
Yes; I believe I have tested nearly everything in the French Quarter. My favourite is crawfish étouffée and blackened catfish at Pere Antoine's.
I am not a big fan of chicory coffee but the beignets are OK at Cafe du monde...
The place is wonderful, with live music all day but I experienced awful service there...not cheap either. I have my little hole near the market, where the waiters are very friendly once you get to know them.

pucho812 said:
Last time I was in NOLA I got talked into taking a ghost tour. While a lot of it was exaggerated at the core was truth which was very interesting to hear about.
In the five times I visited NO, I never found the time to take one of the ghost tours; I guess now, being a semi-resident, I'll have to experience it.
It's a city I love in the fact just about everywhere in and out of the pubs/bars,etc there is music and again a lot of history which I also love to read about.
That, and the smiles on the faces, though I guess people there have their share of worries.

abbey road d enfer said:
I am not a big fan of chicory coffee but the beignets are OK at Cafe du monde...
The place is wonderful, with live music all day but I experienced awful service there...not cheap either. I have my little hole near the market, where the waiters are very friendly once you get to know them.
Yup Cafe du monde and the canal street end of bourbon street have heavy tourist traffic, so service staff is probably aiming pretty low, and prices set high for tourists, not locals. What I liked about Mothers was it seemed like more of a local spot than tourist attraction.   

The good times will roll...

JR

PS another thing I liked about NOLA was Abita beer, a local brewery.

JohnRoberts said:
What I liked about Mothers was it seemed like more of a local spot than tourist attraction.   
Yes, seems like a good place; I'll give it a try next time.
PS another thing I liked about NOLA was Abita beer, a local brewery.
they're a big sponsor of the French Quarter festival, so I had plenty of opportunities to test them.

I love me some NOLA. Although two out of the three times i was there i visited OPP for a few days. I dont remember but I'm sure it was cause I was having fun. Lots of great friends of mine have moved there and done well. Enjoy.

Rocinante said:
I love me some NOLA. Although two out of the three times i was there i visited OPP for a few days.
I must say I have missed that. How do you rate it as a tourist attraction?  ;D
I dont remember
Of course!
but I'm sure it was cause I was having fun.
Nothing like the sheriff's hospitality to crown a weekend of madness!
Lots of great friends of mine have moved there and done well.
At the OPP?  :eek:

Orleans Parish Prison. ;)
I got ROR'ed.
Drunken buffoonery isn't very funny to NOLA cops but in the end they knew I was just another harmless jackass.
Unfortunately my bandmates and friends weren't as forgiving.
In both the audio world and TV, two friends got gigs working on that "American Horror Story" show which from what I hear is common in NOLA. 
Lots of producers walking around getting sloppy and looking for ideas.

I got approached once by a plain clothes cop while walking alone in the french quarter late at night (in a less populous area). He quickly made me for a visiter, and advised me of the danger from walking around alone in empty streets.  We had rented a room away from the high traffic area which has it's good and bad points.

JR

ROR = Released On Recognizance (i.e. without bail). Usually means they think you are respectable enough (known address, steady job), relative to your crime, that you will show-up for your day in court.
http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-procedure/own-recognizance-release.html
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-judges-decide-release-own-recognizance.html

Little of that in Maine. Here there is a low-pay official who sets bail same-night. We really do not like overnight guests. Some trouble with that- even now the local guy does not have full access to your past arrests and convictions, and sometimes lets a guy out for $50 who is SURE to be trouble again.

NOLA cops are notoriously corrupt, although I believe they had a big crackdown several years ago and fired a good many of the worst.  At one time not too far back theyd arrest and kick the crap out of people for what really seemed like no reason at all. During mardi gras they would literally grab groups of people and throw them in the padiwagon as a form of crowd control.  I knew people who spent weeks in OPP for what seemed like nothing. Its better now though.
Moving along its a great place especially for music lovers. I really dont know any other place like it honestly.  Where else can someone hear all in one block; a bluegrass band, some jazz fusion, metal, punk, zydeco rock, classical,  funk, or some eastern European gypsy band playing their hearts out on  a Tuesday night.
And the food...  fuhgedaboutit. Incredible place. Good luck to you sir.

I have never been lucky (dumb) enough to be incarcerated by NOLA police, but I have heard horror stories from co-workers who went a little too crazy while partying down there. 

It has reportedly been cleaned up since then, but it is not something I want to test first hand.

JR 

So... speaking of NOLA and considering I just got off the phone with him;
For those of you who might have watched last seasons  American Horror Story,
the tattoo artist with the facial tattoos that tattoos one of the main characters wife's whole body is one of my bands drummers. Also another friend who found some damn good quality success after moving there.
He still plays with us occasionally but has also been in a bunch of shows like NCIS New Orleans, CSI, etc..
hes also a very accomplished tattoo artist. He seriously got the gigs just hanging out at various bars and shows without even trying. One of my very few friends whose facial tattoos rewarded them.
Pretty cool coincidence that he called shortly after my last post and as i was thinking about how much i liked that town.

Back