logo engraving on mic body--advice?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapfoot

I've got a couple of FLEA microphone bodies that I'd like to have a logo engraved on.

What's the best tool for this job? CO2 laser? Fiber laser? Diamond engraving? CNC machine engraving?

What sort of professional should I be looking for for such a job? The FLEA bodies are expensive so I obviously want to be reasonably sure there's a good shot of getting it right on the first go.

Would I just call a local trophy shop, or is there some kind of more specialized service I should be looking for?

Thanks for any insight!

I would be nervous about doing this after all the components are already fitted. I would be more inclined to do a 'badge'. In that case a trophy shop would do.

I would be nervous about doing this after all the components are already fitted. I would be more inclined to do a 'badge'. In that case a trophy shop would do.
The body tube housing can easily be removed. The housing itself would be the only component at risk :)

Unfortuantely, I'm more interested in having the engraving done directly on the body than applying a badge in this case
Depending on the design and depth, your best options are,
-High quality machinist with 4-5 axis cnc mill (aircraft parts machinist quality)
-Fiber laser etching
-UV printing
The cavity of the engraving after milling or etching will be bare brass. Is that what you're wanting?

The cavity of the engraving after milling or etching will be bare brass. Is that what you're wanting?
That's an excellent question.

No, that's not what I had imagined. If I wanted it to appear dark, my best bet might be UV printing instead of engraving? Or perhaps engraving and then filling with black ink?

It seems like I'm even more confused about what I need then when I started, but that's okay--all a part of learning

Personally, I much prefer a beautifull badge over anything else on a mic body... But that just my own taste I guess;)

What type of Flea body are we talking? C12?

Since you've spent a fair amount of cash on 'classic' body, I think you should keep the 'classic' look by choosing mechanical engraving.

An important point to consider with the engraving being done directly on the body, is that you only get one shot. Type and shape of the bit, rotation speed, feed speed, depht of engraving, buffing, inking... Get only one of those parameters wrong and it won't look as good as you hoped!

For these reasons, I'd definitely go with a trophy shop. That is exactly their job, they are used to engrave cylindrical stuff, and they do one-off.

Axel

That's an excellent question.

No, that's not what I had imagined. If I wanted it to appear dark, my best bet might be UV printing instead of engraving? Or perhaps engraving and then filling with black ink?

It seems like I'm even more confused about what I need then when I started, but that's okay--all a part of learning
There are special laser machines that can do the job (Trotec machines for Example) the laser engraving will become black.

How was the engraving done on the old AKG mics?

I’ve got a different logo and don’t have any intention of using the old AKG logo to avoid confusion, but would be interested in a similar look to the engraving

Old AKG mics (and others) were engraved with a pantograph. Same machines were used to engrave front panels. But there was a rotary accessory that allowed the operator to engrave on cylindrical or even conical surfaces.
This picture shows such an engraver, although this one is most likely from the 70s, but the technology is the same...

Axel
DSC03880.jpeg
detail of the cylinder attachment:
DSC03405.jpeg

You can do a straight on laser engraved logo, most of those services have rotating table attachments. If the logo is .6" or less wide, you can do them straight on. I did a set of mics for Snoop once and it came out really good. We painted them, engraved them and then clear coated them

Personally, I much prefer a beautifull badge over anything else on a mic body... But that just my own taste I guess;)

What type of Flea body are we talking? C12?

Since you've spent a fair amount of cash on 'classic' body, I think you should keep the 'classic' look by choosing mechanical engraving.

An important point to consider with the engraving being done directly on the body, is that you only get one shot. Type and shape of the bit, rotation speed, feed speed, depht of engraving, buffing, inking... Get only one of those parameters wrong and it won't look as good as you hoped!

For these reasons, I'd definitely go with a trophy shop. That is exactly their job, they are used to engrave cylindrical stuff, and they do one-off.

Axel
Somehow I missed this message, but yes it's a C12 body (two of them in fact).

I'm in the other camp in that I tend to prefer engraving to a badge, but in either case I do agree that a period look (mechanical engraving, or something that evokes it) would be the right call in this instance.

Also, I very much feel the pressure of "one shot to get it right," which is why I want to make sure I give myself the best chance of success.

yes it's a C12 body
I suspected so, because the other bodies offered by Flea are of the Neumann type, and all sport badges... ;)

mechanical engraving, or something that evokes it
I doubt that a laser deep enough to 'evoke' mechanical engraving would cost significantly less. Therefore might as well go with the original technology.
That being said CNC engravers are an evolution of pantographs and they do produce the same visual result.

I very much feel the pressure of "one shot to get it right
Which is why I suggested going with a trophy shop. And preferably a trophy shop that was allready in the business back then mechanical engraving was the norm, as those people have experience with the exact type of job you seek.

Axel

It seems sensible. My only concern would be that trophy shops may be less accustomed to “one shot to get it right” kind of stakes?

But I might be entirely wrong about that!

Latest posts

Back