Low Profile (small) transformer with Turns ratio 6.5: 1 other than 3U audio?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rockinrob86 said:
Don't discount the differences in headbasket size and shape on a microphone - it really matters
Of course it does, but this is intentionally a "low budget" project for a young new singer.  Money is a factor :) And these T.Bone SCT's you can pick up on Ebay for 70 bucks!  With case, cable, PSU (gotta modify) and shock mount.  Perfect doner body!

Lordward said:
Thanks for the tip!  I'll check it out.  I'm convinced that it's the weak link simply because I've built the same mic in a larger body with an AMI transformer and it sounds a bit better.

i have proposition for you ;D
Make sound samples of your voice, guitar, bass, snare, kick or anything else you want.
Reamp them and record it with your microphone (''mic in a larger body with an AMI transformer''), then change transformer for 3U GZT47 and record again. (keep the same position and distance from the speaker).
Then you would know where's the real difference.
I doubt that it's transformer difference. Rather i would expect headbasket. Also did you used the same components and values?
If one headbasket have larger diameter and it's cylindrical and other is chinese U87 schaped, smaller, then you should get differences in several frequency ranges.
Let me guess :D Mike from the pic (with 3U tranny) have weaker low end and sounds more nasal?

ln76d said:
i have proposition for you ;D
Make sound samples of your voice, guitar, bass, snare, kick or anything else you want.
Reamp them and record it with your microphone (''mic in a larger body with an AMI transformer''), then change transformer for 3U GZT47 and record again. (keep the same position and distance from the speaker).
Then you would know where's the real difference.
I doubt that it's transformer difference. Rather i would expect headbasket. Also did you used the same components and values?
If one headbasket have larger diameter and it's cylindrical and other is chinese U87 schaped, smaller, then you should get differences in several frequency ranges.
Let me guess :D Mike from the pic (with 3U tranny) have weaker low end and sounds more nasal?
I've used all the same parts except for the 2x 1uF caps.  These are smaller (400V) versions.  And yes, it sounds more "nosey".

ln76d said:
Headbasket ;)

Ok, any idea where I can find a "good sounding" head basket for an SCT 800 body? :)  I have the original SCT gold head basket.  I just don't like the way it looks but I'll compare.

SCT800 headbasket works not so bad only without internal mesh.

Guys! Anyone tried BM800 headbasket with SCT800 body? Anyone could measure it?

What dimensions would be needed?

ln76d said:
SCT800 headbasket works not so bad only without internal mesh.

Guys! Anyone tried BM800 headbasket with SCT800 body? Anyone could measure it?

ln76d said:
Headbasket ;)
@Lordward: from RecordingHacks.com  and an older article comparing Telefunken 250 vs 251 (same C12 cap):
  The two mics have different shapes. The size, contour, and placement of the mics’ headbaskets and grilles affect the frequency response of the capsule, even though the capsules are the same. 

Khron said:
What dimensions would be needed?

Internal diameter of headbasket - if i may ask ;)

zaraxisof said:
@Lordward: from RecordingHacks.com  and an older article comparing Telefunken 250 vs 251 (same C12 cap):
      The two mics have different shapes. The size, contour, and placement of the mics’ headbaskets and grilles affect the frequency response of the capsule, even though the capsules are the same. 

Partially true, but the biggest difference in frequency response is due to complettely different circuit. 

Internal diameter, in the wire-mesh section, is about 44mm.  The "mounting lip" (ie. the base of the headbasked, with the two threaded mounting holes) is a bit less, 35mm-ish or so, with cut-outs on the side, to insert the capsule.

ln76d said:
Internal diameter of headbasket - if i may ask ;)

Khron said:
Internal diameter, in the wire-mesh section, is about 44mm.  The "mounting lip" (ie. the base of the headbasked, with the two threaded mounting holes) is a bit less, 35mm-ish or so, with cut-outs on the side, to insert the capsule.

Thanks!

So - the cheapest option of headbasket (this one also should be single mesh) could  be BM800 - looks little bit better than golden headbasket of SCT800 ;)  Should fit!

... Assuming the SCT800 headbasket also has the two mounting holes on that "lip", on the same maybe 38-39mm(?) diameter circle :p (I don't know, i've never handled one myself)

Probably yes, most of chinese headbaskets with ~44mm diamater is interchangeable including t.bone, fame, audix and all the alliexpress cheap weirdos ;)

Latest posts

Back