Low Tech "2503" transformer winding (w/photos)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CJ - My lams got totally rusty over the winter in my garage. Can I still use them? Should I scrape the rust off before assembly? Does it effect performance?

I suppose we should all varnish these when they are built. My lams rusted like overnight on a rainy week sitting in a dry garage. :sad:

hey tommypiper,
same happened with mine. CJ said that it might be because he left the lams out of the packaging when he first got them IIRC. in any case he just told me to use a scotchbrite pad and rub off the rust and then you can varnish them with nail polish if you're so inclined. the rust won't affect the sound (or maybe it'll make it sound gritty - good for rock stuff! :green: )
i didn't varnish mine after i put them in my Reliquia 312 build.
just be careful not to bend them. i had mine all laced up so only the outer edges were rusted. if the lams are apart right now, then make sure you place them on a flat surface when working them and use light rubbing.
have fun!
-grant

Kevin,

Man, nothing gets by people around here, eh? I inherited that Shure case from a former boss of mine who gave me a trunkload of his old DIY junk (his wife was expanding her territory in their garage) a few years ago. It has a bunch of tiny thru hole swage mount things in it--I have no idea what cartridge was originally in there. Sorry...

A P

Latest posts

Back