M49 / M50 Bodies - All British Made - Vintage

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steph.b,

Yes sorry i've been off the radar a lot has happened and the nickel plating part of this hasn't gone as expected.
I have had a miner break through so i should be able over the next few days to finish these.
I will be sending you pictures of your 3 before i send out so that you are happy with them.
But i will say again nickel plating is really hard!!!!! its only me here doing it all so its slow going sometimes and i dont want to make excuses but these will be finished to a high standard and sent to you very soon, so please dont worry, i just want these to be as good as they can possibly be so you get something that looks great and lasts a long time.
First of all had issues of the nickel flaking off a little in places but have changed the cleaning process so each body is getting into plating as clean as it can possibly be.

will update as soon as they are all complete and polished, will then send you photos, if you are then happy with them i will then ship.

regards

Spence.

Hi Everyone,

slight setback today as a tree has fallen on top of the workshop!!! hopefully no damage but several trees need to come down now as we have had a blustery day to say the least!!!
Will be back in the workshop end of the week to finish up and get the ones ordered out.

regards

Spence.

Spencerleehorton said:
Hi Everyone,

slight setback today as a tree has fallen on top of the workshop!!! hopefully no damage but several trees need to come down now as we have had a blustery day to say the least!!!
Will be back in the workshop end of the week to finish up and get the ones ordered out.

regards

Spence.

Very sad for you, "fortunately" no one was harmed !

I just say on TV that a crane fell on Westminster...

I wish you the best recovery, even if it's only material damage it still sucks and must be a bit traumatic. I hope your insurance will do it's job.

Cheers,
Stéphane.

Hi Guys,

had a tree fall down on the workshop and has been removed!!! little bit of damage to roof then it rained and had leak so another setback.
This evening i have nickel plate the rest of the end cap, during next week i will finish up the rest of the bodies then nickel plate them.
Then i will give them all a final polish and ship out the bodies that have been bought.
There are a couple of bodies that i will let go for £150 as they have some more character than i wanted!!! :)
Hope you guys are not tearing your hair out too much, it will be very soon.

regards

spence.

Hi Guys,

have had a good day today and have completed making all the bits for the head baskets for 16 bodies, tomorrow will start on putting them all together, then braise them to the bodies, then hopefully by end of the week they will all be nickel plated. fingers crossed as im really gonna get them all done.

regards

Spence.

HI Everyone,

have had a little setback on the nickel plating, the liquid i have seemed to have this sediment in it (yellow sludge?)
I have filtered the liquid 5-6 times and got it back to nice clean and clear green and will start nickel plating again monday.
Everything just needs a good rub down and then i will nickel plate them all, caps have been done and polished.

regards

Spence.

Spencerleehorton said:
Hi guys,

hows this looking? am i on the right track?

regards

Spence.

At first glance it looked to me like brass is still visible but then I realized it's just the reflection of the table. Looks good! A better picture would be nice though.

HI Guys/Pasarski,

Im gonna be hopefully finishing them off this week/next week, been raining and flooding here quite a bit and the roof has sprung several leaks from the storms (a tree fell on it and i thought it hadn't damaged it that bad but i need to replace all the felt rather than patch up).
I really want to finish all these as i need to concentrate on other stuff very soon. I will do my best guys.

regards

Spence.

Hi Guys,

I will be working my butt off over the next week or so to get these finished, i am doing a new process for the nickel process involving electro cleaning and several acid baths and aux anodes etc.
If anyone is interested in these please get in touch as only a limit amount available now.

regards

Spence.

Hi Guys,

just to let you all know I will be finishing off 16 M49 bodies over the next 2 days, set back after setback and now finally am making headway. 5 are all polished and finished as of today, and all the bottom caps are polished and done.
Will finish the rest hopefully tomorrow, then post the ones that have been bought, then the others are up for grabs.
Let me know asap if anyone wants them.

regards

Spence.

Latest posts

Back