M50 aluminum membranes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The discussion of the M50 Neumann microphones deals with the thickness of the membrane as a primordial point. There seems to be a preference for aluminium below 5 µm. However it is not common knowledge how get such material. An easy method for access is to unwrap foil wound capacitors such as polystyrol or polyester. Usually the unwrapped foil amounts to 2 ... 5 µm but in most cases is only 20 ... 30 mm wide. This may be of some help.​

The discussion of the M50 Neumann microphones deals with the thickness of the membrane as a primordial point. There seems to be a preference for aluminium below 5 µm. However it is not common knowledge how get such material. An easy method for access is to unwrap foil wound capacitors such as polystyrol or polyester. Usually the unwrapped foil amounts to 2 ... 5 µm but in most cases is only 20 ... 30 mm wide. This may be of some help.​
Arnold Magnetic Technologies in IL, USA could guarantee pin-hole-free down to 2.5-micron aluminum-foil in my requested 70mm X 70mm sheets back in October of 2020.

Arnold Magnetic Technologies in IL, USA could guarantee pin-hole-free down to 2.5-micron aluminum-foil in my requested 70mm X 70mm sheets back in October of 2020.
Thanks for the info. How much did they want for the foil in that size if I may ask?
And do you or anyone know of an EU manufacturer?
I know there is the Lebow company but it‘s in the UK.

Thanks for the info. How much did they want for the foil in that size if I may ask?
And do you or anyone know of an EU manufacturer?
I know there is the Lebow company but it‘s in the UK.
I ended-up never pursuing further, into getting a quote. Lebow said back then that they do not provide any pin-hole-free thin aluminum and only highly recommended sticking with Mylar. I don’t think I found anyone else as an option that thin, except small strips specifically for ribbon mics. Well, there was a Chinese company, but they replied once and then went silent.

Back