MA1 GERMANIUM mic pre support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mus1k_freak said:
here's a sample of the ma1 pre on electric guitars, just a short little ditty to test out how it sounds, ill try to get a sample of clean guitars up later.

https://soundcloud.com/mike-cantilina/ma1test

many thx

Looks like a great kit, and I am well on my way

Questions: regarding mismatches in the BOM and the Schematic, which should I follow? 

I have the AC126 Version:
Component Schematic on left or BOM on right?

R6  22R or 27R
R7  56R or 47R
R15 1M or 470K
R14 4.7K or 2.2K

C29 100pf or 47pf

Anyone know?

I actually have components for all the choices and generally they are small differences in terms of the circuit.

bruce0 said:
Looks like a great kit, and I am well on my way

Questions: regarding mismatches in the BOM and the Schematic, which should I follow? 

I have the AC126 Version:
Component Schematic on left or BOM on right?

R6  22R or 27R
R7  56R or 47R
R15 1M or 470K
R14 4.7K or 2.2K

C29 100pf or 47pf

Anyone know?

I actually have components for all the choices and generally they are small differences in terms of the circuit.

R6 27R
R7 47R
R15 1M
R14 4.7K

C29 47pF

I guess I have sent you an old schematic  ::)

Thanks... The BOM rules!

Nice kit ppa, really easy to understand and well documented. 

It really is a fantastic circuit.
What transformers did you end up going with? Everytime I go to order the ea fom CAPi they're out of stock....

Thanks winetree - could you please post your findings? I have a couple avenson small DI"s that are powered via phantom so that's which I can sacrifice the internal DI.
Really interested in the t-pad mod.

regarding the tpad I have designed 4 years ago a phanthom DI.
Since several customers have intention to use it I am considered to put on white market this DI too. 

bruce0 said:
Build Notes:

C36 takes phantom voltage so 35V is not enough.  used 100uF 63V
thanks for the note it is an error of the new BOM.
In any case I have put on all (medium) kits a 100uF 63V capacitors for phantom and the correct BOM  :D

dogma said:
It really is a fantastic circuit.
What transformers did you end up going with? Everytime I go to order the ea fom CAPi they're out of stock....

thanks for comments

Really nice boards, and really easy project.  I would recommend this project for anyone that has not done one before.  I decided to Time myself, and combine it with notes:

1) Always a good idea to photograph the board before starting.  That way if you want to know what was there before you covered it up, you can see. My boards arrived with the ground patch mentioned earlier already done nice and clean! (thanks ppa!). In my case I am going to simultaneously do 2 boards. Boards have plenty of room for even 1/2 Watt resistors, I was able to find reasonable substitutes for every part lying around the shop.  I will order the precise components where needed.

IMG_4809_zps1bb65dbc.jpg

2) I have some iron that I think will work.  The little Beyers are nice (1:10, triple Mu Metal shields), and the outputs are quadrafilar steel, which should add a bit of dirt to my vintage.  I can always pull and replace if I need too.  I want to finish this quic (test before bed), so I choose my only 25K rev log pot I have lying around, I will have to order one that fits.  Except for the pots (which I got from classic api) I had everything.

IMG_4808_zpsf9a6ccd4.jpg

3) All resistors chosen and stuck in a numbered foam pad.  I didn't measure time for the component selection part. The only matched part are the 6.8K resistors (match better than .1%).  The 750 ohm resistors are marked as 1% because I assume the set the value of the PAD.

Build Note: This thing has TONS of PSU isolation.  1000uF, 100uF and little bypass cap on the TOP rail and the Ground rail.  The ground rail is not connected to the audio rail. The bottom rail just does LED's I think.  This presents some problems for choosing ground to isolate the transformer case, and possibly for Phantom power. More on that later.

Build note: There are inconsistencies between the BOM and the Schematic in terms of component value.  The BOM is the correct source (see earlier posts).

IMG_4806_zps989e3755.jpg

4) 25 minutes flat,  to stuff the flat components on 2 boards.  Easy peasy - .4" lead bends work everywhere except the 1n4148 diodes which are shorter. Pads are large, holes are well sized.  Space is plentiful.  Nice board for a 500 Pre.

IMG_4810_zps1eddb315.jpg

5) 59 Minutes in top soldered, clipped and bottom touched.

IMG_4812_zps3d07988b.jpg

Looking good, but I will clean later before I put on the switches, don't like to get flux cleaner in the switches.

IMG_4811_zpsbaaca7ad.jpg

6) 1:21 in, Short caps and a good cleaning before I start putting stuff in that's hard to clean.  I beefed up some of the film audio path bypass caps, because I had them.  There are those that think these don't do anything audible, and I have no opinion on that, but I always do them if I can (sort of a wave a dead chicken manouver).  I do however prefer to use non wound types when possible (layered like WIMA's) because they are potentially less inductive.  One wound film cap on the DI, because I had no 1uF caps.

IMG_4816_zps0b7c5933.jpg

7) 1:53 in, Tall caps and silicon (and germanium!).

IMG_4818_zpsc6f3c8f0.jpg

I put the germanium in using sockets, because the datasheets of these little fella's is sketchy (couldn't they just say "viewed from bottom" somewhere?) and I don't trust myself.  However the pictures earlier in the thread are correct and help.  Anyway you can see (barely) the center lead has to bend under on the AC126 to fit the board pinout.  It crosses between the other two legs.

IMG_4823_zps1c3eee73.jpg

IMG_4822_zpsa8f93a40.jpg

8) 2:20 in, I put switches in both, and iron in one before bed.  Got it on the bench and it passed signal BUT there is a strap (marked next to the gray wire marked on the output transformer pads).  That strap needs to be populated.  The transformers also are supposed to be strapped for a 1:2 step up.  Everything nice and cool and working though.  Lights go on when I push DI and Phantom.  Continued after work.

You need this strap installed, or there is no signal to the transformer.

9633C223-BA28-44CE-A083-36DFC4FA8F8C_zpsy6qivf4t.jpg

The ground strap shown also needs to be installed.  This ties the star ground to power ground.  The board approaches grounding with a star ground approach.  That's not how I ground my  API 500 series racks instead I tie chassis to audio ground at the rack slot, and then tie chassis to power ground at the PSU.  ( I was able to change the grounding approach with Pier's help with a single trace cut on the MA1.  PM me if you want to ground that way, it is not needed.  It will work either way).

Aligning front panels.

The LED's are not in line with the switches, they are offset.

IMG_4863_zps8cd9a535.jpg

Line the back of the LED up with the edge of the PCB

IMG_4860_zps5594a314.jpg

Mark and bend. 
IMG_4861_zps0f52c124.jpg

They stick out when installed.

IMG_4855_zpsc894968e.jpg

Then you can push them in after installation and make them perfectly flush.

IMG_4850_zps6437ba87.jpg

Further alignment details.  The front panel is mounted with two screws.  They fit in a slot that allows movement in 2 dimensions, so you can realign the front panel after installation. The holes are not enough adjustment for the misalignment of the front panel, you will need to install washers or the switches will be held to one side of the panel holes.  Larger standoff's could also work.

Washers on the standoff's.  I used 4/40 washers which worked with the M3 screws included in the "small kit".

IMG_4867_zps08b75401.jpg

They hold the PCB up and allow the front holes to align with the pushbuttons.

IMG_4853_zpsd1b8fee5.jpg

All you need to do is position the switches properly on the PCB, and align the switches.  As long as the switches are positioned normally and aligned with one another, you will be able to adjust the front panel to make the space around the switches equal.

IMG_4868_zpsb86c0e3b.jpg

To tighten the front panel screw, you might need curved needle nose pliers, or maybe a longer screw (M3) and a lockwasher.
The two preamps are "complete" using my found components.  I may change the transformers, and I will certainly change the pots because they won't fit (they were the only revlog pots I had lying about).  May try to fit a stepped switch in there or I will buy the Bourne pot recommended.

IMG_4876_zps4f8fd19c.jpg

IMG_4875_zpse63db0df.jpg

IMG_4872_zps3b5bd045.jpg

I used these little Beyers.  Shield and case go to the star ground point.

1DF1474A-F1E5-4FDC-9F8C-80FF0A8239F2_zpszopwmkoj.jpg

(I have not does noise or response curve tests yet.  I did notice that at high frequency I get a relatively large amount of phase shift, and that when passing square waves the "slew" rate is pretty slow.  Is that a characteristic of Germanium designs or is it my transformers? - It was neither, it was my test setup.  My cable had only one side connected!).

Don't know what they sound like yet, I can't do more till I can mount the pot.  But it is an easy build and a well made kit.

A lot of this is mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but here is what I would tell anyone building the project:

1) You need to put a strap in to connect the transformer.  You need to tie the ground somewhere (strap will make it a star ground tying Pin1 and power on the module).
2) alignment is easy because the holes have lots of clearance, and the front panel can be shifted on the carrier, but I needed to put washers under the screws to make it fit.
3) you need a curved needle nose pliers to reach the bolt on the back of the front panel screw, a longer screw with a lock washer might work better.
4) I recommend hand matching the 6.8k resistors to better than 1% with a DVM (this is just good practice).
5) The board itself (the PCB) is thinner than the 0.062" I am used to, it measures more like 0.057" thick.  This has two effects. One the board flexes a bit when aligning (not a problem). Two when you seat the module in the rack it feels like it hasn't reached the connector, but it did it just slides in real easy because it is a bit thinner.
6) The carrier is beautiful, nicely made.  They are beautifully countersunk, thick, and the bend is sharp and clean. Both of mine were a little "acute" and I had to flex them open a bit to get a 90 degree angle and make the board fit easily.
7) The AC126 mounts with it's "tail between it's legs" in order to get the pins right, see the pictures elsewhere in the thread.  I soldered mine in the end, but the pictures I used sockets in case I goofed.
8) There are inconsistencies between some of the schematics and the BOM, but the BOM is correct except for C36 which needs to be greater than 50V.  If you bought a kit, Pier included the correct cap.

Thanks PPA for great design and execution, and for being so responsive!  This was a pleasure to build.  I think the whole kit could be built in 3 to 4 hours working carefully if if one had all the parts in stock. 

2nd that , I bought a pair. PPA ,  IS a thoughtful and caring guy
It's a nice take on getting some of that germanium Goodness
in an 325 format [ xfmr-gain -xfmr ]

many thanks for the post,

the PSU gnd is connected to analog gnd with a wire bridge on the PCB on the two holes where you have inserted the black wire (into one of them). There is a pcb track from it to the analog ground star point.

IMG_4831_zpsf8e02ae0.jpg

The slew rate is slow and around 2.1 V/uS with AC126 and 3.7V/uS with AF127 but not more slower than 2520 that is around 2.8V/uS. 

Yes, the germanium preamps have not often high slew rate, but isn't so required it for good sound here.  8)

Regarding noise, MA1 has less noise than some modern famous silicon preamps, so it is very low. 

Pier Paolo;  Thanks.

I used the black wire to ground the shield of my input trafo to the audio ground.

If I do connect the strap then all the grounds from all my modules will tie at the rack through the MA1module.  In general I try to tie PSU ground to chassis at the star point in the PSU.  I tie the chassis to the audio ground at the rack (through the xlr's/jumpers).  I have not considered what it might do to the MA1 performance to continue with my current ground scheme.  Any thoughts? What bad stuff happens without that strap?

ppa said:
many thanks for the post,

the PSU gnd is connected to analog gnd with a wire bridge on the PCB on the two holes where you have inserted the black wire (into one of them). There is a pcb track from it to the analog ground star point.

bruce0 said:
If I do connect the strap then all the grounds from all my modules will tie at the rack through the MA1module.  In general I try to tie PSU ground to chassis at the star point in the PSU.  I tie the chassis to the audio ground at the rack (through the xlr's/jumpers). 

MA1's analog ground should go at 0V so it should be connected to PSU gnd in somehow.
The MA1's chassis PIN (MA1's main connector) is not connected to MA1's analog ground so the
PSU ground is not connected to chassis through MA1.

bruce0 said:
I used the black wire to ground the shield of my input trafo to the audio ground.

If I do connect the strap then all the grounds from all my modules will tie at the rack through the MA1module.  In general I try to tie PSU ground to chassis at the star point in the PSU.  I tie the chassis to the audio ground at the rack (through the xlr's/jumpers).  I have not considered what it might do to the MA1 performance to continue with my current ground scheme.  Any thoughts? What bad stuff happens without that strap?

So you should solder the shield wire (of the input transformer) on the solder joint that is in this pic.
This solder joint is the center of the analog ground star.

Pier Paolo

Attachments

• MA1 solder joint.JPG
    MA1 solder joint.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back