Mackie 1640i modification.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyB

Just posted re my PSU issue, but while I've got the unit open......
I've been considering this mod for a while.
I have the said 1640i and a 1604VLZ. I sometimes have access to a colleagues 1640i, so I was thinking of ways to tap into the solo buses of each mixer and make the bus common to all three mixers! That way I could solo across all 3 mixers without having to mute the non soloed units.
I'm studying the schematics and will post when I have some ideas, but as always a little guru advice never goes amiss!!

As always, thanks in advance!!

Finally getting a bit of spare time for this. Mixer PSUs repaired, all seems good!
Attached diagram is the solo buss' for the Master 1640i which will control all the monitoring duty and the Slave mixer Solo buss' which will "tap in" to the master mixer solo Buss'.
The added annotated caps in the slave mixer are to isolate between the 2 mixers solo buss' - these are audio signals L-AFL, R-AFL and PFL.
The solo logic is a dc logic level, hence the need (i think of the opto isolater/coupler.

Can some folk chip in with comments to the feasabillity of this idea, I was thinking something like a 5 pin XLR external link lead carrying the 3 audio buss', the solo logic and a ground for screening purposes.
The 1604 VLZ has a slightly different arrangement for the solo cct, so i think i'd like to get the 2 1640i's hooked up (for 32 track operation) and then try adding the 1604VLZ in (for 8 (solo-able)stereo fx rets)
Comments much appreciated with thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• Solo cct -Master and slave.png
    Solo cct -Master and slave.png
    643.6 KB · Views: 0
Whilst I'm in a posting mood (too hot for anything else!) I'll mention about the mods links for pre/post insert/eq and the ball-ache of plugging/unplugging mic/line cables.
It looks possible, using sub min relays that can sit/solder onto the mod pads 16 channels x 2 functions for a total of 32 relays. The relays (5V) coil drive ccts could be powered from a USB charger dropping in on a 2.5mm power jk. A ribbon or 2 could carry the coil signals and switches could be mounted on an external panel close to the mixer. I need to do a few sessions and see if I really need these functions, cost isn't much, but time to mod could take a while!!

Now to the ball-ache! The mixers have combined/connected inputs for either mic or line, theres no switching so it's a case of plug one OR the other- not both! Was thinking of panel that sits at the top of the mixer just above the mixer connectors.
Mic and lines would enter the panel, each channel has a 4PDT push that connects one source whilst disconnecting the other, push the switch and the vice versa happens. You could even use a 6PDT push and have LED indication of channel source. Short leads would then connect to the mixer

Now, one thing I do like from working on bigger consoles is the ability to switch the insert in/out, (call me lazy for not using unit bypass switches, but it's a nice feature to have).
Again, another switch on the added panel.

It might seem a lot of effort to go to but when your studio's the size of a cupboard/closet, then the small compact mixers make a lot of sense, especially if the said features can be implemented!!

Got quite a few tunes to mix, so i'll keep you posted on this one when I can!!

Back