Master sidechain

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty2

My idea is to build a sidechain circuit only ( something like the GSSL) and plug it into the side chain port of an existing compressor, possibly the DBX 160X series (Same VCA's, respectable audio path, and they can be had for cheap).

Advantages of this would be that the audio/metering/psu circuits are already built (and can still be used "stock") but the "flavor" can be changed by simply plugging in a different sidechain. No modification to the existing equipment either.

Surround setups can easily be assembled too. Design considerations would be linking functions, LFE control, ect...

Would this be a worthwile DIY Group Project?

Hi Crusty,

By plugging something into the sidechain port of a compressor, the internal sidechain is not bypassed. The only purpose of the sidechain port is to be able to send a signal other than the compressor's input signal to the sidechain circuitry (handy to make a ducker, de-esser, ...).

So it's not possible to replace the internal sidechain by plugging an external one into the sidechain port.

Besides this, every compressor has a different type of gain control element (VCA, FET, opto, ...) that needs a different sort of control signal.

Sidechains are the most complex parts of compressors, and are very specific from device to device.

Greetz,

Rogy

Sorry Rogy,

I meant plugging into the "Stereo Strapping jack" on the 160XT, not the side chain jack.

From what I understand, these boxes use the same dbx (That) VCA as the Smart clone and a similar audio path.

Latest posts

Back