Max. obtainable signal output voltage with P48 phantom power

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicUlli

Hi All,
driven by some discussions around the topic "output voltage" of a condenser mic i tried to find some useful math for calculating the "impossible".
Here is the first simple approach.
The max. DC power the P48 input can deliver to a microphone is 170mW.
If we use a class A driver stage for the AC-signal it has a max. power efficiency of 0,25 -> 42,4mW AC output power.
Using a class B driver stage with a power efficiency of 0,785 delivers 133,5mW AC output power.

Most audio interfaces rely on a differential input impedance of 3kOhm.

This leads to 11,3V rms for class A and 20V rms for class B.

BTW: I have never seen a mic that is capable to deliver such a high output level..

Your thoughts are welcome :)

BR MicUlli

Hi All,
driven by some discussions around the topic "output voltage" of a condenser mic i tried to find some useful math for calculating the "impossible".
Here is the first simple approach.
The max. DC power the P48 input can deliver to a microphone is 170mW.
If we use a class A driver stage for the AC-signal it has a max. power efficiency of 0,25 -> 42,4mW AC output power.
Using a class B driver stage with a power efficiency of 0,785 delivers 133,5mW AC output power.

Most audio interfaces rely on a differential input impedance of 3kOhm.

This leads to 11,3V rms for class A and 20V rms for class B.

BTW: I have never seen a mic that is capable to deliver such a high output level..

Your thoughts are welcome :)

BR MicUlli
22:30 time stamp. Tube mics tho.
Røde NTK, K2.

Last edited:
Granted, but not the use case i asked for.

In simple directly driven mic designs (i.e. Schoeps, Octava, MicUlli..), that means no transformer and no DCDC converter,
the maximum obtainable output voltage (rms) is

Urms = Idc * Zin * 0,3.

Idc is the total current driven from the phantom supply by the output stage,
Zin is the differential input impedance of the power supply,
0,3 accounts for a safety factor multiplied with 1/(2*sqrt(2)).

With Idc = 4mA, Zin = 3kOhm: Urms = 3,6V (11,1 dBV and 13,3 dBu).

For extreme conditions P48-spec. allows to source up to 10mA -> 9V (19,1 dBV and 21,3 dBu).

Some audio interfaces like Neumann have a very high Zin (10kOhm). Other interfaces have a high Zin when PAD is switched.
For my taste a higher Zin is always preferable (max. theoretical value is 13,6kOhm).

So long MicUlli

In simple directly driven mic designs (i.e. Schoeps, Octava, MicUlli..), that means no transformer and no DCDC converter,
the maximum obtainable output voltage (rms) is

Urms = Idc * Zin * 0,3.

That's probably "permanent" or "long-term" though, right?

Latest posts

Back