OPEN SOURCE DIY Mic Project - ORS 87 - Stripped Down u87

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would be the difference? At $30/circuit I'd be willing to give it a try vs. not being able to build my own circuit.
I understand that @Khron is now working on the BOM parts list and a complete, detailed set of assembly and BIAS instructions so that any beginner can build a great microphone.
Chinese components do not offer the same quality, performance, low noise, reliability, etc.

I understand that @Khron is now working on the BOM parts list and a complete, detailed set of assembly and BIAS instructions so that any beginner can build a great microphone.
Chinese components do not offer the same quality, performance, low noise, reliability, etc.
Thank you so much! Yesterday i was reading the last posts and i got pretty lost. would be a great gift at this point to make a summary The project becomes a university of knowledge! Lots of gratitude.

Is this a private joke?

This is what i read? thank you for every thing you have share and done anyway
Best

This is what Micolas have Posted I understand that @Khron is now working on the BOM parts list and a complete, detailed set of assembly and BIAS instructions so that any beginner can build a great microphone.

I was just enthousiastic !!! :)) about this
Are you working on the BOM parts list and a complete, detailed set of assembly and BIAS instructions so that any beginner can build a great microphone. Thank you

Last edited:
Are you working on the BOM parts list and a complete, detailed set of assembly and BIAS instructions so that any beginner can build a great microphone. Thank you

Well......

https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/ORS87_Plus_Open_source_U87_mic_project_2922baaf.html

That being said, BOMs for Mouser and Digikey are still in progress (close to being done), but i'll only get to scrape together a build guide in a few weeks, after i get some blank boards made 😬

All you had to do was to read...

@AdamFrisen
E.g:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Eyt30d9

Even cheaper by about 30% than the one proposed by you.
Good body but the internal electronics, the capsule, do not offer quality,
(experiments can be done 😀)
The shockmount may be different from the one in the presentation picture, but it's not a major problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-01-11-42-35-580_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd_1719823400521.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-01-11-42-35-580_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd_1719823400521.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-07-01-11-53-50-665_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-01-11-53-50-665_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-07-01-11-55-32-340_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-01-11-55-32-340_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 0
@AdamFrisen
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Eyt30d9
During this period they have all kinds of offers and discounts.
I simulated a checkout and they made an additional discount of about 10%.
With shipping included, at my exchange rate, it comes to about $25 😀
Now I got tempted although I have HL-95 waiting for capsule(s).

Maybe I should buy this one for cardiod only and use HL-95 for Khron's PCB or M. Fuchs (I guess I have to make PCB myself?)

Hello, can you tell me what the problem could be? I'll delete my tehma straight away so as not to distract from the topic of u87 ors
I did everything as in the instructions but I used a double diaphragm. I thought I could only use the front side but for whatever reason I got a constant signal of about 16dB in the Apollo Twin Metter display and it was extremely humming. I can hear myself but it's humming Is it because I only connected one side of the membrane or does it matter? It seems that the membrane also pulls on the capsule and it goes away again but that's not normal. Is there too much tension for the membrane? That's what I'm trying to do, thanks for any help, I'm still a beginner when it comes to this circuit and Capsul
https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/Dual_OPA__Alice__Microphone_Circuit.html
https://www.pcbway.com/project/shar...age_Multiplier_for_Condenser_Microphones.html
https://www.thomann.de/de/the_tbone_mikrofonkapsel_sc600.htm:unsure:🫣
Is the microphone body entirely made of plastic?

Hello yes it is 3d printed:D
we're just testing it out first and I'll have the sleeves milled later
If the body of the microphone is made entirely of plastic, you have a big problem
The entire circuit (and the capsule) must be shielded in metal,and connected tot gnd, otherwise you will not get rid of the hum.
Faraday cage.

So do I need an aluminum sleeve that I connect to the ground?
XLR pin 1
Microphones have a body made of brass, steel, aluminum, etc.
Also, the grille of the head basket must be metal, possibly with finer mesh, and/or several layers, and also connected to ground, like the rest of the body.

(Steel is also good for magnetic shielding, the other mentioned metals only shield electrostatically and electromagnetically.
But not having a transformer in the circuit, you don't have magnetic coupling with loudspeakers, power transformers, etc., located nearby)

Last edited:
OK, thank you for the tips. Last question, why did we vacuum the membrane and the capsule? I noticed after I unplugged the mic that the membrane was a bit crumpled, but everything is ok again. Is there too much tension for the capsule?

OK, thank you for the tips. Last question, why did we vacuum the membrane and the capsule? I noticed after I unplugged the mic that the membrane was a bit crumpled, but everything is ok again. Is there too much tension for the capsule?
What polarization voltage did you apply to the capsule?
If it is too big, the capsule may collapse.

@mic test
so far all the mentioned problems also appear in the case of ORS87, they are common to microphones.
✨
From here on, problems specific to your circuit may appear, so it is advisable to start a new thread with a relevant title.
This way more members will be able to benefit from all the details of the project you are working on.

Latest posts

Back