MD421 Why the headband?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinchemotherloaf

sennheiser-md421jpg.jpgWhy did the MD 421 have headband over the capsule? I bought one in 1980 for $200c. Great mic. It looks like it should be a side address but is directional from the top. Anyone know any history behind this attribute?

It always cracked me up that Oktava copied this body almost exactly for their ML-51 active ribbon mic (side address, of course).

But, my thought exactly, that the bar is strictly for structural integrity.

Attachments

• ml-51_2.gif
    ml-51_2.gif
    41.5 KB · Views: 1
It always cracked me up that Oktava copied this body almost exactly for their ML-51 active ribbon mic (side address, of course).

But, my thought exactly, that the bar is strictly for structural integrity.
My thoughts were around the acoustic interference's to the capsule more than the headbasket integrity. There must be some reflections going on in there.

True - the real questioin is why Senn chose that body design for an end-address dynamic; always puzzled me as well.

If someone wanted to sacrifice the ruggedness, it would be interesting to hear how different it would sound with at least the top part of the bar removed. It may actually be providing a positive top-end boost, at the expense of some unevenness of response.

Last edited:
And for any newusers who haven't used or held a 421 before, be careful when you're carrying them, because you will touch the button that releases the mic part from the stand part and drop the mic on the floor.

That was an AWFUL design choice on their part.

I always assumed it is to reduce plosives, like strapping a pencil* in front of a microphone.
(*Maybe showing my age with that one).
I've heard of this too, it's one of those weird sounding tricks like using something like gum on the back of the front teeth or dental wax to help with sibilance.

I always assumed it is to reduce plosives, like strapping a pencil* in front of a microphone.
(*Maybe showing my age with that one).
I imagine this may be the reasoning. As I remember, the MD421 was known as a 'Bass' microphone, for bass drum, bass cabinets, etc...Although it sounds great on live vocals and designed for that use maybe?

the MD421 was known as a 'Bass' microphone, for bass drum, bass cabinets
I liked them on toms, especially floor, but stop using them as the cymbals (like ride that close to floor tom) get awful harsh crosstalk in the upper midrange (to my ears).

This topic now make me wonder if this is an undesirable effect of this -headband- artefact ?

Since I heavily edit toms track in most project now (or deep gate them), I should maybe give the 421 a new chance.

OTHO I replaced them with 441...

The mic is not strictly designed for low end rich instruments. It is designed for extended response which also makes it suitable for bass heavy instruments.

These mics are primarily intended to be used for broadcasting - much larger target group. I remember playing with these literally as toys back in the 80's as my mother used to be a journalist at national broadcasting station. They were used a lot for field recording with portable tape machines.

The construction is very complex, and that bar in the front doesn't affect the sound much. It can't really be compared to condenser mics construction wise. It covers tiny area of the diaphragm, as it's center is already covered with a resonance disk. Only outer part of the diaphragm is exposed to direct sound. The bar is too close to the diaphragm to be affecting the sound signifiantly.

There used to be a sphere available for purchase in order to stop the plosives. So the bar isn't there for that reason. It doesn't cover the outer, exposed part of the diaphragm which is sensitive to plosives.

Here's an interesting video.

The mic is not strictly designed for low end rich instruments. It is designed for extended response which also makes it suitable for bass heavy instruments.

These mics are primarily intended to be used for broadcasting - much larger target group. I remember playing with these literally as toys back in the 80's as my mother used to be a journalist at national broadcasting station. They were used a lot for field recording with portable tape machines.

The construction is very complex, and that bar in the front doesn't affect the sound much. It can't really be compared to condenser mics construction wise. It covers tiny area of the diaphragm, as it's center is already covered with a resonance disk. Only outer part of the diaphragm is exposed to direct sound. The bar is too close to the diaphragm to be affecting the sound signifiantly.

There used to be a sphere available for purchase in order to stop the plosives. So the bar isn't there for that reason. It doesn't cover the outer, exposed part of the diaphragm which is sensitive to plosives.

Here's an interesting video.

That's quite interesting for sure. I didn't know there was a 'cheat' plate in there. I do now remember the low roll off had several positions. Maybe 4-5? I still think this mic is one of the better dynamics, up there with the SM5

. . . and the RE15!
Yes, that one too. The main reason I posted is that I'm experimenting with the DIY concept of making dynamics into classic bodies/headbaskets. The TLM dynamic I'm making has the headband as well, in front, I wonder if this would be significant to the response. These do sound very good IMO...I have added felt to the base of motor now btw to cancel reflections. There is a Shure xformer in the base.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
Probably a good idea to put some felt on that top body plate that the capsule's mounted on, so sound doesn't get reflected back into the rear of the capsule - that could alter response and/or pattern.

Latest posts

Back