Sennheiser MD 419 - how to open the microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kohntark

Hi folks,

Recently I bought two Sennheiser MD 419 dynamic mics (seemingly, a cheaper variation of the old 421). Both in great condition, except for the fact that one of them has a semi-loose bulging grill that vibrates when close to loud sources:t

photo1708020900.jpeg

Unlike the MD 421, there is no screw that I can access on the outer body of the mic. Does anyone know how I can open it so I can put the grill back on its spot?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with MD419. Looks like you have already removed the XLR or Kleintuchel in the rear plus the bass roll-off ring? The pic is not showing that clear enough. Anyway, the roll-off unit is still on the place, possibly glued, if there is no screw and that should likely come off to access the capsule mounting.

Can't you fix it from the outside?

It looks like it could be fixed with a drop of glue.

Admittedly, my OCD would probably send me on the same path as you, but hey...

I believe the opening mechanism to open the 419 it's the same as the 421, the capsule assembly has a rod in the back with a thread and then one nut tightens it up to the body. Probably just by removing that nut both capsule assembly and grille will came off from the front

Back