Measuring output impedance

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnheath said:
but am I wrong if I say that the output impedance i relation to the load affects the drive capability?
Indeed it does. For example, if the output stage has a very low output Z and clips at +20dBu because it hits the rails, let's say you insert a xfmr that adds a 1dB loss, then the max output will be +19dBu.

abbey road d enfer said:
Indeed it does. For example, if the output stage has a very low output Z and clips at +20dBu because it hits the rails, let's say you insert a xfmr that adds a 1dB loss, then the max output will be +19dBu.

Yes thank you sir

I have understood that there is a direct relation and I will for sure investigate that subject more and more… in fact that is one of the major reasons for this topic in the first place. I figured that I ought to learn how to measure and calculate the output impedance (mainly of my own builds) to see how my home-brew devices will behave i relation to other devices.

I do not have the knowledge yet to do pure math about the impedances… there are different  on-line calculators but they seem to give restricted answers due to restricted number of parameters… but I will get there too :)

Thanks

Best regards

/John

Latest posts

Back