Mechanical improvement of mic build.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a roll of 3M extreme sealing tape , (4412G) ,
its acrylic based , 80 mils thick , holds its shape well unless you stretch it ,
matt grey on the outside ,adheres well to almost anything including itself
I think its available in normal hardware stores in smaller quantities .
May be worth a try for dealing with body resonances . Not sure of its stability with temperature maybe theres a data sheet about it with more info .

Its kind of obvious to me the original U47 tubular body shape isnt the best in terms of resonances , the tapered style found on the U67 and more modern Neumann mics are likely a lot better , then again you find people who are hell bent on trying to recreate the flaws in the original design . On a few sessions where we used rented U47's they were sometimes problematic , on ocassion the vocalist would hit a certain note and trigger a resonance which caused the sound to brown out momentairily , the producer had to call time on it .

Last edited:
Agreed, hopefully your reviving this topic will catch some eyes attached to brains that hold hard-won knowledge and turn-key solutions (ha!)

Later this week I plan to look more closely at Sorbothane options, and of course will share any progress.

I've used a similar compound to the automobile type damping bitumen-based (IIRC) stuff when I was building a control room. It was called QuietCoat, available here. (no affiliation). One could tape the outer face off and dunk the bodies in it, and potentially do repeated cycles for added thickness / dampening. Not exactly the most controlled or based on calculations, or cheap as the smallest quantity is more than a single DIYer needs... AND while I'm being negative, I also am unsure how one would go about drying in a uniform way, given space dimensions are usually tight (as mentioned in earlier post) way, but maybe it would be useful?? A sheet of PSA Sorbothane sure seems like a simpler solution!

I use this stuff for damping mic bodies and head baskets:
Yep - that works well and is good for many other uses, too. Look to buy in bulk for much lower cost on eBay and elsewhere as automotive product. I buy big long rolls for cheap. Good for many other uses, too. I hope the guy who invented it received adequate payment for it! James/K8JHR

Back