• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Melcor A24 PreAmp pair and C20 Opto Compressor w PS and Rack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

I've tested these guys, it powers up and passes signal. Sounds neat, but I never used it much (too many pre's/lazy about wiring patchbays). I never figured out the pinout of the opto compressor but it looks very much like an LA3a and I've got the opto section to react to input signals, just never figured out the output wiring.

The guys over at Orphan audio have some of these schematics, i'm sure they'd share if you asked nicely. 

All discrete, transformer balanced goodness. Should be easy to modify with attenuators, but they sound great as fixed gain pre's. Seem to have around 45 db of gain or so as they sit and a very cool vintage tone. They sound nice chained together from what I remember and are fantastic line amplifiers as well.

Probably circa 1960-64. Def early solid state design and built to military standards. Would be a fun project to tinker around with, but I'm building a new studio from the ground up and have no time to DIY.

$400

Back