meta threads buried?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmp

Should the meta threads be pinned to the top of the sub catagories?
Search for "transformer meta" and it's halfway down the second page

I could make them sticky, but a quick search reveals multiple metas of various interests... It seems like there should only be one meta file per sub forum. What does everybody want?

JR

I could make them sticky, but a quick search reveals multiple metas of various interests... It seems like there should only be one meta file per sub forum. What does everybody want?

JR
Please don't, these stickies have a bad habit of accumulating, the current content keeps getting pushed down.

The metas are also no longer up to date in large parts as far as the links are concerned and thus have little useful value. The search engine is much more powerful.

right now I am gathering info, and won't make multiple stickies. I have seen that clutter other forums.

I think I have seen forum software that compresses all the stickies unless you click them, but I don't want to make more work for the web mechanics.

JR

Please don't, these stickies have a bad habit of accumulating, the current content keeps getting pushed down.

The metas are also no longer up to date in large parts as far as the links are concerned and thus have little useful value. The search engine is much more powerful.
They're out of date because no one knows they exist! They are/were core knowledge here! They help reduce the endless repetition of the same dumb questions. There could be a META section, separate from the individuals, perhaps.

They help reduce the endless repetition of the same dumb questions.
The practical test in the microphones subforum has shown me that this is wishful thinking. The same questions continue to be asked, and nothing has improved in this regard.

Somehow this is normal in a forum, as it is not a static reference library and lives from the active exchange of knowledge of the users.

What do we do once all the technical topics have been discussed and presented accordingly in the METAs?

Do we then only chatter about US-American domestic politics in the brewery? ;)

Last edited:
The practical test in the microphones subforum has shown me that this is wishful thinking. The same questions continue to be asked, and nothing has improved in this regard.
I suspect it does help some people but there will be a fraction who don't bother to search for answers. Judging by the number of new people signing up, they can't all be bots, some will be newbies.
Somehow this is normal in a forum, as it is not a static reference library and lives from the active exchange of knowledge of the users.
For repairs it can be helpful to hear from people who have already dealt with the same failures. A surprising number of people think they can undertake scratch designs and expect good results, while modern solutions make that easier than it was.
What do we do once all the technical topics have been discussed and presented accordingly in the METAs?
relax
Do we then only chatter about US-American domestic politics in the brewery? ;)
it appears that modern politics has grown to infect most areas of public discourse.

JR

Back