Mic Pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really love that song    'new kid in town'    [the eagles]    ..  re 'johnny come lately'

A recent listening to a modern remaster (I think),  on my home system, just floored me with the fine-ness of the recording, mix nd rrangement.

It seemed quite a lot more refined than I remember from the radio over the years. In a good way.

I don't know how it is down under (probably similar) but broadcast heavily processes recordings to sound louder on the dial to attract more listeners.

I recall back in 70-80s how much different records sounded than the radio... The same exact recordings.

JR

So you are fighting with bad tubes. How about some CCCP military? These things are awesome, matching western datasheets - because they are copied from it and further improved - and when not we can adapt. Despite the modern Soviet/Ukraine proxy war these things are still cheap and vibration-designated for Sukhoi military fighters and atomic bombs. You don't have to resort to parlor tricks for great sound.

I like the  soviet russia tubes generally speaking ..  particularly if one is a    'scope jockey'      wannabee  (like me  :)

Mostly I spend time on el84 family types  now,  from the day back then in russia and related states .. 

They do quite well with most of what I use them for. 

I do like to try them against modern stuff and vintage too,  and it's mostly pretty close, as far as I can determine but for the 'quant' in the soul, the russian old and new do pretty good.

I won't deny I have wondered how much further, in relatively simple perforance measures,  active devices can further the  'fine audio'  thing, in tubes. 

My belief is    'a little'.    I takes more than I know.

abbey road d enfer said:
That's not what I see. The 1st triode's anode meets the source of the 1st MOSFET, so it looks to me like a quite low Z.
The second triode is cascoded, so again the anode load is very low. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

But that is not the final schemo...I told you I was tempted to share. I did not say I would share.

I will say I used a 12SL7 and 12SN7 because they are cheap and available in NOS. And they sound amazing!

20190801-162814.jpg

Hmmm, I love her so much I have enough NOS tubes to fuel her past my lifetime. Eventually I will share but not yet. I'm not so happy with the ol boys club!

Further more I used Edcore nickel core 1:8 and silicon steel 4:1 to get the harmonics I like.  If I wanted something else I would just as easily wind my own the old fashioned way like in my Monsterchild 670 which i will never share, lol. The Monsterchild is impervious to imbalance on the pushpull pair.

Ricardus said:
BASTARDS!!!!  :)

The elitists, armchair superstars. They laughed at the optical comp until it was proven, they mangled the PM660. But I have the updated version of all those.  And more!

Nah not in this thread.  Sorry to all the peeps  who struggled with some things. I was going through a bad divorce and massive child support payments. Audio was far from my mind. I gave up  those schemos because I was pretty much done, but years later I am black, I mean back and better than before

Latest posts

Back