Microphone circuity

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxim Didur

Hello guys! If I want to make a good circuity for a moicrophone what components of cirucity should it include? What are some essential components of circuity should good microphone have (comxponents of major middle price microphones)? And what are some extra components of microphones (Which are not necessary but they are present in expensive microphones for example)? Is it any tutorials online how to make circuity for a microphone? Where can I order details for microphone circuity and how to choose good details for circuity (I mean whats the diffrence between good and bad details)? Is the main role of circuity preamplification or Impedance Matching?

So how many different threads are you intending to start, for more or less the same topic?
How is it similar to previous thread? I understand that u annoyed seeing me twice this day, but what is the problem if somebody want to discover something in deapth in new topic and there isnt reall any avaliable information about it? If u dont want to answear or I am bothering you just ignore or whatever... There isnt any rule in your forum saying that person can not post more then 1 thread per day. But although this is comepletly diffrent question about building microphone circuit, so it is looks like you beeing kinda toxic to me cause i posted 2 threads this day...

How is it similar to previous thread? I understand that u annoyed seeing me twice this day, but what is the problem if somebody want to discover something in deapth in new topic and there isnt reall any avaliable information about it? If u dont want to answear or I am bothering you just ignore or whatever... There isnt any rule in your forum saying that person can not post more then 1 thread per day. But although this is comepletly diffrent question about building microphone circuit, so it is looks like you beeing kinda toxic to me cause i posted 2 threads this day...

https://groupdiy.com/threads/how-microphones-work-in-deapth.85599/https://groupdiy.com/threads/questions-about-microphones.85397/https://groupdiy.com/threads/need-research-help-for-an-experiment-got-stuck.85363/
Yup, aaaaabsolutely "nothing" in common between this and those three other threads... (and i'm not talking only about the 50 questions in each initial post)

Maxim,

I agree somewhat with Khron, that your questions come through like a troll - interacting for the sake of generating (easy for you) interaction..

It's not a problem to be asking questions, but you really need to do the footwork yourself, before asking.

/Jakob E.

Maxim,

I agree somewhat with Khron, that your questions come through like a troll - interacting for the sake of generating (easy for you) interaction..

It's not a problem to be asking questions, but you really need to do the footwork yourself, before asking.

/Jakob E.
It such a strannge thing, how can I ask myself on stuff I dont even know, I am NOT in microphone maker industry for current moment, I just interested in spacific topics and I am also interested to make my own microphone. I have never build microphones before, I have never disassembled the microphone etc, I dont have any experience in general. If I know the answear for my question I would never ask u, I just found so many talented people in this forum which are experienced and can share their knowlege. And by the way if you feel like 4 threads I made in 2 months is to much I appologise didnt know aout that, I could not really research on it my self cause there is really lots of information about it, book by Eargle is very informative thats what I am reading right now

This is a good introduction, from a circuit designer who worked at Rode microphones:

Is the main role of circuity preamplification or Impedance Matching?

Impedance matching in a condenser microphone (presents a very high impedance to the microphone capsule, has a low impedance to drive the cable).
Dynamic microphones (including ribbon) do not usually have any circuitry, just a transformer for impedance matching.

@Maxim Didur, the reason people seem annoyed, is that most people spend a lot of time reading the many microphone threads here to learn about microphones, before asking questions.

Most of your questions have the curiosity that brought everyone to the forums, but they are very general; they lack specificity. In other words, you are asking general questions that are already answered in books.

If you're like me, reading books can be painful. I want to know the answer to a specific question, very much out of the logical order of a book, before I can absorb the information the author has laid out for me. There's nothing wrong with that, but trying to get others here to follow your individual route of learning can be tiresome. Especially when so many contributors to the forum have little time and are already overly generous with their knowledge.

Consider reading through some project specific threads. Try a U47, M49, then U67 thread. If you have questions about any of those projects, you can ask them in the corresponding thread. For example, search "U47 build thread".

If you want to learn specifically about the amplifier of a specific microphone, you could try to start a circuit analysis discussion in an existing thread or here. If for example, in this thread, you asked specifically about the M49 electronics. Maybe disregard the physical operation of the capsule as a transducer (assumed it was a generator), then analyze the rest of the M49 circuit. DC and AC analysis. That way you can ask specific questions and get specific answers.

Open ended or generalized questions are too hard for people in a forum format.

This is a good introduction, from a circuit designer who worked at Rode microphones:

Impedance matching in a condenser microphone (presents a very high impedance to the microphone capsule, has a low impedance to drive the cable).
Dynamic microphones (including ribbon) do not usually have any circuitry, just a transformer for impedance matching.

^ That's a great video. I've watched it and recommend it.

Some dynamics don't even use a transformer.

the reason people seem annoyed, is that most people spend a lot of time reading the many microphone threads here to learn about microphones, before asking questions.

That sums it up pretty well indeed.

The 'Best circuit completely depends on the mic used and of extreme importance that it is placed correctly for the sound 'source' and the musicians (if that is what you are trying to capture) are playing /singing their BEST performance so in reality any old cheap mic and recording system CAN capture a 'magical' performance where all the other factors were 'perfect'. The internet is awash with 'superstar 'wannabees' who attribute their personal failures to NOT having microphone XYZ and a preamp made by a company that may or may not have a N as it's starting letter. there are many 'snake oil salesmen (and women) that would like you to think that a 'class A' circuit design is the ultimate just because some other person happened to be using SOME equipment that had a 'Class A' amplifying stage somewhere in the system. Similarly transformers that ALWAYS add some distortion and usually frequency dependent abberations because they interact with both the incoming source impedance and their 'load' impedance both of which may be reactive and level dependent. Saying youn use a particular op amp/transistor/whatever does NOT include whether the whole circuit is 'optimised' and what interactions with other real world elements will produce.

Probably you want to start with a simple but effective circuit without gigohm resistors and a very small noise floor...
For electret type capsules simply remove C5, D4, D5, R7. For externally polarised capsules you get 37V polatisation voltage, not that much, but sufficient to work with. I use this circuit for capsule testing.
BR MicUlli

Attachments

• simple_micvv.JPG
    simple_micvv.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 1
Back