Microphone design philosophy.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammas

Hey chaps!

I just finished reading an interesting thread over at gearslutz. Originally it was a "whats all the fuss over vintage nuemann's" thread, but there have been sparks of interesting conversation in regards to what specifications and philosophy drove the microphone design of the classics. Mics like the U67 and U47?

Some engineers have declared those vintage mics about as good as it gets. I find it interesting the pathways that some equipment has taken since conception, construction, to 10, 20, or 50 years later where the people using them are essentially doing it with no real understanding of what the aim of behind the design. Like a Neve 80 series desk for example. By all accounts from Geoff Tanner, there was zero mention of "colour" in the signal path. It was designed to meet strict BBC specifications. There was no intention of creating a colourful and tone-rich mixing console from what I have read. Just a great, clean, well performing mixing console.

Or in this instance, the original U47 tube mic that hasn't been produced in almost 50 years yet remains so highly desired and praised. I have never used a U47, but some many accounts it isn't a clean, transparent microphone. I am no microphone designer so I have no idea how tricky it is to create a microphone that meets a myriad of specifications like low distortion, multiple polar patterns, SPL levels, noise levels, power consumption, budget, and size... and their effects on things like the frequency response. For example, was the 12k bump intentional? Or a tradeoff in favour of another benefit. Less distortion perhaps? An overall flatter response between both polar patterns?

What were the engineers at Neumann thinking when the first U47 rolled off the line? Was it "this is going to be one of the most musical, mojo filled mics in history!"... or was it a true engineers stance? "This is one of the cleanest, clearest, lowest distortion mics we have made yet!"  ...with history taking it on an entirely different path.

To me it seems on that people on gearslutz have basically stated it was the former... and that no microphone designer is currently capable for doing it again. If you ask them, microphone design and manufacturing has suffered from a devolution. Which is very odd, if you ask me.

If we had only been using transparent gear for the last century, most would probably think what we today refer to as vintage would sound like total crap. With that said, I still love old gear because they have the sound that I'm used to.

I think you are considering the u47 from a modern perspective. When it came out in 1947, it would have been considerably cleaner and quieter than it's predecessor. I am sure Neumann were not trying to add extra colour! It is just very fortuitous that the particular colouration it has is considered even today to be very pleasant.

I think that we are possibly "conditioned" to what is considered to sound good, in that great recordings by great (vintage) artists have this sonic signature "built in", and we like it, and recognise it in their recordings, and feel good when we can add this colour into what we do too.

kindest regards,

ANdyP

When these mics were developed, Rock & Roll wasn't even invented. All those super-duper-musical mics were made for broadcast and classical recording. Nobody thought of adding color, they were as clean as was possible then. And no, those mics were not developed "by ear", as many seem to believe. In fact, most of the measurement tools were invented just then. Neumann, for instance, made measurement mics and frequency plotters. There is one early measurement mic that used pretty much the same amplifier as the U47. Which tells you two things: 1) they used measurements in the development of the U47 and 2) the U47 circuit was deemed linear enough for a measurement mic.

As the owner of a well working U47, I can assure you that it doesn't sound nearly as colored as many new tube mics. And maybe that's why you can't find a new mic that sounds the same. Also, a well working U47 is lower noise than many new tube mics. At 15 dB-A, the U47 was pretty much the quietest mic in its time, in fact, it's still lower noise than some of today's FET mics.

Seems like the trend for audio equipment has always been: Cleaner, lower distortion, more transparent. This continued and seemed to have peaked in the 80s-90s. Then words like "sterile, lifeless" started entering the vocabulary of audio engineers. Only more recently have people set out to make equipment that ADDs distortion, but no one can deny that having access to all the different tools is better than just one extreme or the other.

I believe that even if recording started out super clean, there still is something elementally pleasing about certain kinds of distortion, but it is interesting to think about. The chicken and the egg question. There is still the quest for Cleaner, more transparent, but i think we've learned not to take for granted those older designs.

Latest posts

Back