Microphone Modelling

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see the point in this mic modelling technology, or at least using it (selling seems to be a good business, isn't it?). It would be though nice to have a plugin which makes everything sound good.

I don't see the point in this mic modelling technology, or at least using it (selling seems to be a good business, isn't it?). It would be though nice to have a plugin which makes everything sound good.
Using Townsend Labs Sphere has been revelation for me, but not necessarily because of spot on emulations.

I use it for the most part for drum room sound, alone or in m/s configuration. Because of emulations of different off axis behaviors i have never been able to achieve anything like it with any other mic. Emulations of different mics come in handy as simple eq preset curves, so i just pick one (or not) depending on what sounds nice. I'm not tripping i have suddenly turned k67 capsule into ck12...

I strongly suggest trying it out if you haven't already. But be aware it shines on ambience rich stuff like drum room, where you can do miracles with stereo, or even mono plugin. But nothing special happens with simple vocals in a booth...
Due to capsule/body similarities, i can't tell it's c800 emulation apart from real c800g.

About the only realistic way to simulate a mic is to use an Ambisonic mic with better bandwidth than the one you're trying to emulate.
Ambisonic would have issue with phase due to the angles and distance/position between the capsules. Lots of comb filtering would occur. As most capsules are single or dual, it is possible to emulate them with a dual one, all the off axis sound comes from the interraction between the two and backplate. However whole nother level of pattern control would need to be achieved.

As we mostly emulate three different types of capsules, and they are relatively inexpensive, alternative would be to make swappable capsule modular mic with different capsule types, and additional digital emulations to swing them in different directions.

Back