Microphone schematics by chat GPT

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the years I have played with a few chatbots and chatGPT is definitely the best of the lot. That said, its scope seems to be rather limited and it demurs when asked for an opinion. Others I have tested are often willing to offer opinions and holding opinions is one marker of intelligence.
I asked it how to perform a DOS attack on quantum crypto (BB84 protocol) and it told me that is illegal. I pointed out that I did not ask it to perform an attack, just how it could be done. It then explained that BB84 is able to detect tampering with the message so it would be impossible to decode the message. Once again, I stated that I did not want to decode the message, merely prevent its delivery. It fell back on a restatement that the message could not be decoded.
The interesting thing, to me, is that it did not answer the question I asked. I have gotten bad answers from other chatbots, but they never answered a different question than the one asked.
It's got a way to go.
Change the way you ask the question which may result in the answer you want.

It's not hard to imagine if they are trained on all the great designs from the last 70 years that they come up with some viable, interesting, and sonically great schematics.
Can AI be an audiophile and enjoy music?
I know AI is not a person just without passion AI will not be able to create...

AI can't even hands or feet convincingly yet, they always come out like some sort of mangled claw mess, so no way in hell AI will be designing functional circuits anytime soon.
It is already designing functional python, javascript, and other programming language code.

Don't kid yourself; circuits are not more complicated than computer code.

The last few months have seen a massive leap in its capabilities. The previous one passed the bar at 10%. The current one at 90%.

It's progressing so rapidly they have called for a moratorium on developing the thing (like we'd allow technological progress to stop over fear).

I'm sure they'll keep pushing it forward.

And Microsoft itself says ChatGPT shows the first signs of AGI, which is the holy grail. (Yes, MS bought it, so they have a vested interest in making it sound better than it is - but have you TRIED it yet?).

It's only a matter of a short time before it's massively more capable, and when they pop that sucker into the newer robotic bodies, I'm not sure what a human can do that it can't (besides have a soul, reproduce, and all the usual human-centric arguments).

Last edited:
Have you seen ChatGPT?

It passes the bar exam at over 90%. This requires logic and reasoning, not copying previous arguments.

It's a lot more sophisticated than that.
I told my wife, who is a lawyer (a litigator) that. She said the bar exam is not that difficult and there are a lot of dumb lawyers. ChatGPT could do the routine legal work, not litigation which requires serious analytical, creative, persuasive, presentation, and other human skills that AI doesn't have.

I told my wife, who is a lawyer (a litigator) that. She said the bar exam is not that difficult and there are a lot of dumb lawyers. ChatGPT could do the routine legal work, not litigation which requires serious analytical, creative, persuasive, presentation, and other human skills that AI doesn't have.
O....K....

If the bar is not that hard to pass, then what's all the hoopla about being a lawyer?

I think your response is completely dismissive and misses the whole point. These things do have a high modicum of intelligence.

They do make mistakes. They have been caught plagiarizing existing articles. They have been caught giving patently false information. And they have been caught going off the rails and responding with threats, racism, and other nasties.

So no, they are not perfect. But they will get better. And way faster than any of us would like to see tbh.

A lot of writers are losing their jobs now. A lot of graphic artists. Yeah MidJourney sucks at hands, but the new one out V5 is supposed to do hands well.

Point being: these things will only improve. It's only a matter of time before they excel at all things human, perhaps better than most biological entities on this planet.

I remember when calculators were banned from tests and exams then became accepted. Is that similarly going to occur with students use of AI for their assignments, tests, exams, etc.?
Maybe. I had a calculus teacher that allowed us to use whatever we wanted during a test: Internet, computer, books, anything. Most students failed anyway, because, even with all the tools available at your fingertips, they were useless if you didn't know what you were doing and showed all your work. This was before Wolfram Alpha came in to play, which gives you not only the answer, but also the steps to get there. But still, I can think of many questions I could ask students that even Wolfram Alpha or ChatGPT wouldn't help too much.

Yes, many. Funny thing is that looking at circuits and understanding them is one thing, Creating them is something else. Now i see many using simulation software to create circuits but these are only good in the simulation and need to be tuned when actually build.

I think that AI can create all the designs i have made in my life time in a couple of seconds. That doesn’t say that these are any good but all options in a design can by tried (calculated). Options we maybe had overlooked.

Last edited:
Circuits are not complicated, choosing the components is ..
This comment is quite arrogant and untrue. Pretty much like Bach's "It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself."

Poetic sayings that sound nice, but are divorced from reality.

O....K....

If the bar is not that hard to pass, then what's all the hoopla about being a lawyer?

I think your response is completely dismissive and misses the whole point. These things do have a high modicum of intelligence.

They do make mistakes. They have been caught plagiarizing existing articles. They have been caught giving patently false information. And they have been caught going off the rails and responding with threats, racism, and other nasties.

So no, they are not perfect. But they will get better. And way faster than any of us would like to see tbh.

A lot of writers are losing their jobs now. A lot of graphic artists. Yeah MidJourney sucks at hands, but the new one out V5 is supposed to do hands well.

Point being: these things will only improve. It's only a matter of time before they excel at all things human, perhaps better than most biological entities on this planet.
The hard work of becoming a lawyer, getting into law school, getting a law degree, and articling, is done before the bar exam. The bar exam is a certification exam, it is multiple choice, it is mostly about ethics, rules, procedures, etc., not analyzing and presenting cases. Would you like to be defended by an AI lawyer in court against a criminal charge such as manslaughter or murder?

This comment is quite arrogant and untrue. Pretty much like Bach's "It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself."

Poetic sayings that sound nice, but are divorced from reality.
Look at microphones (that is what is discussed the most here). The circuits are extremely simple yet the discussion on what components will suit best never ends.

Maybe we should ask AI to choose the perfect replacement of a VF14M or a AC701 for us. Let’s see if we can solve that one for all time.

Last edited:
Yes, many. Funny thing is that looking at circuits and understanding them is one thing, Creating them is something else. Now i see many using simulation software to create circuits but these are only good in the simulation and need to be tuned when actually build.
There are standard designs for many circuits but creating new designs that work well is not easy. AI can help with the routine part of design work but cannot do successful new design work on its own. When AI is independently as creative as humans we will become AI servants or redundant.

It is already designing functional python, javascript, and other programming language code.

Don't kid yourself; circuits are not more complicated than computer code.

The last few months have seen a massive leap in its capabilities. The previous one passed the bar at 10%. The current one at 90%.

It's progressing so rapidly they have called for a moratorium on developing the thing (like we'd allow technological progress to stop over fear).

I'm sure they'll keep pushing it forward.

And Microsoft itself says ChatGPT shows the first signs of AGI, which is the holy grail. (Yes, MS bought it, so they have a vested interest in making it sound better than it is - but have you TRIED it yet?).

It's only a matter of a short time before it's massively more capable, and when they pop that sucker into the newer robotic bodies, I'm not sure what a human can do that it can't (besides have a soul, reproduce, and all the usual human-centric arguments).
Just proves that lawyers aren't as smart as everyone assumes they are - neither are doctors. Being highly educated in one narrow field is not the same as high intelligence.

Back