Microphones for DIY Mics: Updated BM-600 dimensions and pictures

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh, the shock mounts look pretty cheap and crappy.  I have questions.

Mics #5, 6, 7 all have different shapes, yet appear to be using the same cheap shock mount.  Can you shed some light on this? 

Are they merely friction fit to the body?  No screw-on through the bottom like MXL or Nady mics or so? 

The U87 styled one has a non-cylindrical body, conical in shape.  Yet it appears to have a friction-fit shock mount with a cylindrical sleeve.  ??? 

This is not good.  If you place the mic in an inverted (upside down) position it will be very likely to fall out of a friction-fit shock mount, due to its conical body shape. 

Are there no other photos?  Can you get your hands on one and take some photos, or confirm what's going on?

And what on earth is the plastic line on the front of the #7?  Is there a light in there or something?  ::)

They do all use the same shockmount.  As for the BM-5100 and 5200 they both have similar bodies (minus the head basket). The line that you see is something the manufacturer put on the 5000 series.  It is a window that emits blue light when phantom is applied.  I guess the idea was "tube glow"

I will confirm, but I believe that they all come with there shm-9a shock mount (the one pictured) and it is a clamping friction fit style mount.  There are other shockmounts, but are not included in the off the shelf kit.  If you would like to change it, that can be accommodated. 

I will work on getting some more photos as well.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks. Yeah, I've seen these types of shock mounts, the cheapos, and they are not good.  On a lighter weight mic, they will do.  Very bad for a heavy mic.  And they look sooo cheap, shiny metal...  :eek:

Are there no shock mounts that screw into the actual bottom of the mic, like I asked before?

A screw-attachment style would be strongly preferred, especially for the U87 shape.

I have my doubts now about the utility of the U87-shaped mic because it lacks a workable shock mount. 

There are threaded shock mounts available.  All the mics available can take the M22x1 threaded shock mount

Here is an example of the BM-600 with shockmount/pop filter combo.

This is from the australian distributors site....so disregard the text

BM-600-SMP-1.jpg

SHM-7 Shockmount

MFSHM-7.jpg

SHM-8 Shockmount

SHM-8.jpg

cmuller0420 said:
There are threaded shock mounts available. 

Great.  Uh... any in non-black?  Regular old fashioned mic satin nickel ....?  Maybe?

Do all these shock mount parts fit all the mics?

Pricing....?  Hello?

Do we really have to pull teeth to get all this info....?  I mean, don't you want to sell something?  ;)

It has been a long work day and am posting when I have a free couple minutes..so not too bad for at least getting some info up...so cut me a bit of slack!

Now that work is done I have posted shockmount info on page 1 (first post) for the M22 mounts with pricing.  For others check out the shockmount section at ProCan audio and you can see the variety of shockmounts.  There are a bunch and didn't want to post every one.  There are 3-4 types available in black or in satin nickel. 

The shock mounts listed on the site give the diameter range for each shockmount.  Instead of me reporting all the info here...have a look at the site.  I have found out that all of the mics have a M22x1 thread to accept those type of screw in mounts.  As for pricing knock 40% off of the site prices and that will be approx cost.

I'm in for 2 BM600.  :)
It's hard to know if the SM-7A fits the BM600 but I don't think it does. If it does, I'm definitely in for 2.

Thanks for the offer.

The BM600 looks pretty tight. Can anyone verify that there's enough room for Dany's boards and a transformer?

rmaier said:
The BM600 looks pretty tight. Can anyone verify that there's enough room for Dany's boards and a transformer?

Yes, we need to answer this question before ordering. 

cmuller, are the dimensions you posted above

Length is 70mm (2.75")
Bottom Width is 35mm (1.37")
Top Width is 42mm (1.65")

are those the dimensions of the BM600 PCB board? 

If so, that leaves about 12mm for the transformer.  Because...

Dany's boards are 40mm wide at top, 35mm wide at bottom, 56mm long.

The taper of the boards is slightly different, but the mounting holes look approximately the right place.  Giving up a couple mm for fudge, moving to fit, that leaves ~12mm for the transformer at the bottom.  IF you can mount Dany's boards at the top.

Dany's boards are narrower and may not mount flush to the top.... We may not know how it fits till someone tries it...  and we need to get the transformer sizing...

mylesgm said:
so that sounds like a yes to the pcb fitting... so I'll take two bm600 with shockmounts.

Yes, it should fit Dany's PCB.  But it will be a very tight fit for the transformer at the bottom of the mic, below the PCB.  Because there appears to be no cavity in the XLR connector area for a transformer -- as the original transformer is on the original PCB.

So someone will have to try it to make sure it will fit.

It appears from the photo earlier on this page that there is a plate between the PCB above and the XLR connector below.

Cmuller, can you show us a pic of that area of the mic?

Back