Mics blind test

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sound recording is … and should be … absolutely subjective !

Like photography … left to be captured in a manner as determined by the recordist that best suits their artistic taste …

There is a wide palette of microphone and preamp combinations that offer the ability to “color” the sound (or NOT) …

And a music engineer like an artist will capture the sound in a manner that leaves it to the listener to decide if they are positively impacted by the choices !

For every step of the music process from writing to arranging to recording and mixing to mastering to reproduction on the end users’ playback systems is rife with subjectivity …

As Rick Nelson sang in “Garden Party” … “you can’t please everyone … so you got to please yourself” …

Last edited:
It is interesting to be able to compare my impressions with yours and I thank you for playing the game. I must admit that for myself, objectively, I prefer A & D microphones. C is out of the game (to harsh & bright) and B is too typical and difficult with spoken voice.

Now it's time for revelation :

Mic D = Warm Audio WA84 (cardio capsule)

Mic C = Oktava MK-012 (cardio capsule)
I have this Oktava pair since 1996 (and they have been made years earlier) so maybe the capsules have become damaged over time but the preamps are brand new, bought at Oktava.de store end of 2023.

Mic B = Stam Audio SA-47 Fet

Mic A = "6AK5" project
https://groupdiy.com/threads/diy-tube-mic-project.87512/page-9

So 2 SDC and 2 LDC mics

Last edited:
Sound recording is … and should be … absolutely subjective !

Like photography … left to be captured in a manner as determined by the recordist that best suits their artistic taste …

There is a wide palette of microphone and preamp combinations that offer the ability to “color” the sound (or NOT) …

And a music engineer like an artist will capture the sound in a manner that leaves it to the listener to decide if they are positively impacted by the choices !

For every step of the music process from writing to arranging to recording and mixing to mastering to reproduction on the end users’ playback systems is rife with subjectivity …

As Rick Nelson sang in “Garden Party” … “you can’t please everyone … so you got to please yourself” …

Exactly! ..I'm not interested in 'accuracy' in a mic, but which mic will give what I want. I don't like the - apparently, so they tell me - 'accuracy' of, say a 414 ..I much prefer the 'intensity' and more 'intimate' sound of the similar-looking, and similar capability, sE 4400. It has a bit more 'punch'. If I were recording Kings College Chapel choir at Christmas time singing carols, then 'light and airy' mics would be the thing, but for a pub trio I'd want 'density' and 'solidity' and a rather 'bass-full' atmosphere. Horses, as they say, for courses.

Exactly! ..I'm not interested in 'accuracy' in a mic, but which mic will give what I want. I don't like the - apparently, so they tell me - 'accuracy' of, say a 414 ..I much prefer the 'intensity' and more 'intimate' sound of the similar-looking, and similar capability, sE 4400. It has a bit more 'punch'. If I were recording Kings College Chapel choir at Christmas time singing carols, then 'light and airy' mics would be the thing, but for a pub trio I'd want 'density' and 'solidity' and a rather 'bass-full' atmosphere. Horses, as they say, for courses.
My turn to say “Exactly”

Our microphones are our version of artist brushes used to create the colors of our recordings …

@MicMan you succinctly described the beauty of the diversity of microphones and the choices they bring to our artistic palette !

Every mic we choose brings its own “sound stamp” and we should be constantly encouraged to reach for different microphones in different applications over EQ … because the reward for doing so is obvious …

In the digital age … I confess that I am drawn to the organic character of tubes and their ability to naturally “warm up” the stridency of PCM … but I refuse to pigeonhole my options to one type !

Being part of this forum has afforded me the opportunity to build and fine tune my “artist brushes” with the education and assistance of some of the most amazing artisans in residence here …

I am eternally grateful for this forum and what it has done to help further my recording knowledge and (en)light(en) my path !!!

Last edited:
@Emmathom your project rocks ! I want one ! indeed the K67 style of the A type mic is responsible of the overall sibilance of the result but the circuit obviously delivers full and plain response ! Chapeau monsieur !

@Emmathom your project rocks ! I want one ! indeed the K67 style of the A type mic is responsible of the overall sibilance of the result but the circuit obviously delivers full and plain response ! Chapeau monsieur !
@thor.zmt is the "father" of this project (thanks to him)
I have Arienne K47 flat and also t.bone SC400 capsules to test in this 6AK5 and try some mods :
- 1uF tin foil SCR capacitor (instead of Ali Express Audiophiler - which are not bad at all)
- Tamura 1:10 ouput transformer (instead of Neutrik NTE10/3)

@thor.zmt is the "father" of this project (thanks to him)

Nah, I did very little, the design is full on SELA T12 with minor tweaks.

@rock soderstrom suggested the output transformer and thanks to GDIY archives there was sufficient info to "design in" the NTE transformer.

So there is little from except changing a resistor for a CCS and slightly tweaking operating conditions.

Thor

Nah, I did very little, the design is full on SELA T12 with minor tweaks.

@rock soderstrom suggested the output transformer and thanks to GDIY archives there was sufficient info to "design in" the NTE transformer.

So there is little from except changing a resistor for a CCS and slightly tweaking operating conditions.

Thor
@thor.zmt and @Emmathom are very modest but through persistence, hard work and many experiments they managed to complete a beautiful project. I especially like it on the voice and some acoustic sources, the tube and the small transformer bring a sweet touch of saturation and subtle compression.✨
I think I will also build an ' EmTho 6AK5 ' microphone.

Back