MIDI Line Driver over Cat5

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alauth

Hello everyone !

My first time posting a thread here, hope I won't break any rule ! (don't hesitate to tell me :) )

I play in a band and we use MIDI to control our pedalboards. My goal is to create a solution to run MIDI over more than the 15m limit.

I saw this schematic about building a MIDI Line Driver over Cat 5 : https://www.edn.com/send-midi-signals-over-long-distances/

So I recreated the schematic in EasyEDA and worked on the PCB to make it work.

Four questions :

- Do you think I did anything wrong in my PCB or in my schematic ?

- On the schematic, I don't really understand the role of R3. Is it some kind of biasing of the signal between the 4N25 optocoupler and the input from the 74LS07 ?

- LED receive and send are supposed to show MIDI Data activity but I don't understand the setup with the +5V input on one side of the LED and the 74LS07 on the other side, could someone explain this to me ? (or point me to the right direction to understand this by myself ?)

- On the original schematic, there's C4, a 100nF cap between +5V and Ground, I thought it was just for stability improvement but with my power supply design, I think I don't need it anymore, am I right ?

My questions are probably quite basic but I'm learning all by myself so obvious things are sometimes not that obvious for me :D

Have a nice day everyone, thanks !

Arthur

Attachments

• PCB_PCB_MIDI-Line-Driver-A-Type_2_2024-10-06 Bottom.pdf
    123 KB
  • PCB_PCB_MIDI-Line-Driver-A-Type_2_2024-10-06 Top.pdf
    130.5 KB
  • Schematic_MIDI-Line-Driver-A-Type_2024-10-06.pdf
    62.8 KB
Hello alauth,

The 15 meters limit for MIDI link is an urban legend.
I have experience at running much longer MIDI links with no issue, " no data loss or timing delay " .... :)
Buy a good quality pair cable, 50 meters, and do your own test first.

Best,
Guy

Latest posts

Back