Ad VU meter api 312

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I'm asking, just wanted to confirm that it wouldnt cause any issues to run a track from the 500 card +-16v over to the buffer circuit.
Nope! Just be sure to add PSU bypass caps from each rail of the buffer opamp, located close to the power pins of that chip. That's assuming a "pre-made" buffer doesn't already have the caps.

Bri

>> Some time ago I had designed this "1U Rack-Mount 8-Channel VU-Meter Monitoring Chassis" purely as a means to monitor audio-levels either from equipment that may have lacked any type of level-monitoring indicator or to simply place within the audio-signal path just to keep tabs on the levels somewhere that you felt doing so was needed:

1728256829853.png

>> The audio-input connectors are NEUTRIK "Combo's" as they accept both 1/4-inch and XLR connectors and the output connectors are "dual-stacked 1/4-inch" connectors configured as a "dual-mono" or "stereo" connection.

>> As a result of working on this little project of mine, I have also collected a plethora of VU-meter driving circuits and schematics of which I could share with you should you need some additional circuits to review.

>> (This response has been certified as being "Graphically Text-based Expression-free).

/

Nope! Just be sure to add PSU bypass caps from each rail of the buffer opamp, located close to the power pins of that chip. That's assuming a "pre-made" buffer doesn't already have the caps.

Bri
Oay awesome thank you!! I think I'll probably just run traces to an empty pad so I can use wire to send the pwer and audio signal to the buffer circuit! And yeah, I assume the JLM has the bypass caps right? Looks to me like they might be C4 and C6 on the schematic?

JLM Schematic

which I could share with you should you need some additional circuits to review
That would be greatly appreciated thank you!! I'm at the point in my electronics learning that I'm reading and comparing all the schematics I can! Feel free to PM me when you can! I can also share my email if it's easier for you to share that way.

One more question,, could I just build and layout the buffer circuit on my main 500 series card? I have a pretty large empty space as the 312 is relatively simple and think I could squeeze it on there pretty easily. In which case I wouldn't have to buy a buffer it'll just be self contained. Just not sure if the buffer being a completely independent PCB serves a purpose in isolating the circuit. I guess maybe the gnd connections on the buffer would need to be a separate gnd somehow?

One more question,, could I just build and layout the buffer circuit on my main 500 series card? I have a pretty large empty space as the 312 is relatively simple and think I could squeeze it on there pretty easily. In which case I wouldn't have to buy a buffer it'll just be self contained. Just not sure if the buffer being a completely independent PCB serves a purpose in isolating the circuit. I guess maybe the gnd connections on the buffer would need to be a separate gnd somehow?
Yes, since you have room, a variable gain buffer would be easy to add. The JLM has extra stuff to handle the meters without diodes (unless you do select one of those) and make it functional if you don't have a bipolar (+/-) supply.

Do you want/need the peak blinkie LED?

What 312 schemo are you working from?

Bri

Latest posts

Back