Mixer Woodwork

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting topic. I've just found a flooring company in UK to produce some end bells for a product I make - I lucked into a great guy who is doing it "on the side" for me and is using it as an opportunity to get better at his CNC skills. He even sent me a pair of end bells for free for part fitting.

So this kind of thing can be found with a bit of luck...

Interesting topic. I've just found a flooring company in UK to produce some end bells for a product I make - I lucked into a great guy who is doing it "on the side" for me and is using it as an opportunity to get better at his CNC skills. He even sent me a pair of end bells for free for part fitting.

So this kind of thing can be found with a bit of luck...
If he wants any more work you can point him in my direction.

Cheers

Ian

If he wants any more work you can point him in my direction.

Cheers

Ian
Ian,

Would you like me to put you in touch with a friend of mine who is a guitar maker and has a CNC?

I used to have a CNC with my former modelmaking business and I miss it a lot. Here it is machining a model ship hull from urethane (circa 1997).

CNC_Machining.jpg

Edit: I have e-mailed him and copied you in.

Last edited:
If you don’t have a CNC some pretty simple basics that make it easy.
First make a template using cheap thin plywood. In most cases gluing up a couple of pieces of wood vs a large board.
The biggest thing to making nice side panels is a band saw, even a small one, I usually will clamp both cheeks together so I can cut in a single pass.
A router table or a round over bit with a bearing makes for a nice finished look.
On most mid priced consoles a nice touch is to add a monitor shelf for near fields and video monitor.

If you really want the classic look and have access to a high hp router mounted on a router table and a 2 in round over bit And a couple of passes make it look perfect. I always like to also cut a nice pencil tray and then a nice reverse piece to mount to the bottom of say a Martin Sound monitor controller so it can slide side to side with no worries.

Back