MK-U47

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first batch is sold out (all spoken for)
If someone backs out i´ll let you know.

great stuff - thanks for your support.

-max

ioaudio: any chance you'll be doing PSU PCB's?
I'd rather buy one from you, than make my own :)

Lars

Damn, I missed the boat. Count me in for one set on the second batch or if anyone backs out.

ioaudio said:
could be simple as that (like U47 NG PSU)
Disclaimer - High Voltage - build and use on your own responsibility
MK47_PSU_Schematic.jpg

Thanks Max

Anyone any clues on where to source a suitable PT for this supply?

string a couple of 12-15VAC transformers together, say, 230VAC::12VAC to another (but reversed) 12VAC::230VAC. VA rating for both can be quite low, like 20-30VA. Off the shelf stuff. This would net you a 230VAC with roughly 100mA. Then just scale the 1k resistors accordingly to a slightly higher value for more voltage drop.

Actually 230VAC::12VAC to another (again reversed) 15VAC::230VAC would be maybe more optimal. It would give you about 185VAC. Scale resistors down in that case, and use 100uF caps instead of 47uF. Less heat produced, and less power wasted.

If you live in 115VAC country the trick works equally well.

Thanks Kingston, clever thinking, I've been searching for an off the shelf 200v unit with no success but this seems like an elegant and cheaper solution.  :)

Alternatively there's the Hammond 363ax which would give me 200v at 115ma.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/300series.htm

It's 200v CT, would I simply not use the centre tap in this instance?

Jim50hertz said:
It's 200v CT, would I simply not use the centre tap in this instance?

Yeah, just ignore it. But the 5V CT / 2A winding would be completely wasted as well, and these Hammonds can be expensive (and heavy!). Two of the shelf toroids will be cheaper, although arguably you are wasting one perfectly good transformer for the series trick as well.

Good point, they do seem spendy!

A couple of points then, the 1k dropping resistors want to be 2watts yes?  Also, I'm curious as to the function of the LED other than to indicate a functioning supply.  This would need a high power LED, I'm guessing it could be left out quite happily?

Thanks for your replys,

Jim

Hi,

First of all, I like to be in for one in the second round and if money allows two.

I can make a PCB for the power supply, shell I start a new thread for the interest in this ?

DJN.

Back