MK-U47

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in for one to complete my EQU47...but I have the same concern about the tubes.  Is it possible to aquire a spare set?  Or at least know what specs need to be met to purchase a proper pair?  Don't think i'm gonna buy a VF14 as a backup...

Re: tube
as posted (and pictured), miniature pentodes are used, the type will be revealed as soon as you receive your order, so you can buy them in the open market, aditionally i can offer tested pairs.

-max

Email sent...
Congrats for a very clever design... I guess those two triode strapped pentodes are wired in // but their heaters are in serie...
So simple, so obvious, such an elegant solution...but AFAIK, you are the first one to implement it for a VF14 substitute!
Well done! I can't wait to try your kit.

Axel

Max, do you have a good design for the PSU? something with very low noise and reliable? Thats something we can build in advance...

Thanks!

could be simple as that (like U47 NG PSU)
Disclaimer - High Voltage - build and use on your own responsibility
MK47_PSU_Schematic.jpg

mad.ax said:
Email sent...
Congrats for a very clever design... I guess those two triode strapped pentodes are wired in // but their heaters are in serie...
So simple, so obvious, such an elegant solution...but AFAIK, you are the first one to implement it for a VF14 substitute!

Axel

Actually, Oliver Archut suggested the same idea a few years ago with a WE 407a tube.  It's a dual triode with a 40v heater in series, so you could theoretically make it work in the U47 circuit.  Oliver thinks that the tube is too noisy for a decent tube mic, but maybe ioaudio's got some tricks up his sleeve.

io how would you compare the mk7 to the mk47.  i was going to use the one i already have (mk7) in skylars mic body.  is there a large difference.

milesjackson said:
mad.ax said:
Email sent...

Axel

Actually, Oliver Archut suggested the same idea a few years ago with a WE 407a tube.  It's a dual triode with a 40v heater in series, so you could theoretically make it work in the U47 circuit.  Oliver thinks that the tube is too noisy for a decent tube mic, but maybe ioaudio's got some tricks up his sleeve.

Wiring heaters in serie is not new indeed. We407A has been tried as a VF14 substitute, but without much success, as its triodes, even paralleled, doesn't behave like a triode strapped VF14.
Paralleling triodes in order to lower the plate impedance is not a new idea either, but so far I only saw it implemented with dual triode in one bulb.
Using two tubes in a mic has been done too, but in a multi stages configuration.
My understanding is that Max took two individual pentodes, triode strapped them, paralleled them , and then wired their heaters in serie, and that, I believe, is a first in a tube microphone.

Axel

Arrr... i really want one but think i'll have to wait for the next batch... Too skint. Looks fantastic though!

Back