MK7 mic finished

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite a few of you have asked how this mic sounds, and I've been hesitant to answer.  Up until now, I've only briefly listened to the mic through headphones in my home studio, and with a random tube.  Let me elaborate a little on our shootout.

For the shootout, we went to my friends "real studio", a Manzella tuned room with some real nice gear.  We used Shep Neve 31105's for the pres and monitored through Genelec 1031a's with a Miller and Kreisel sub.  We put the M7 directly up against three other U-47 inspired mics, the Wunder CM7, Wunder CM7-GT, and a home brew with a Dale M7, EF86 and Chinese transformer.  I've previously borrowed the Wunder CM7 and was immensely impressed.  As far as I was concerned, it was in a different league then anything else I have previously built or own.

It was immediately obvious that the home brew wasn't in the same class as the MK7 and Wunders.  It lacked the clarity, presence and three dimensionality and fell out of the shootout pretty fast.  What we were left with was three mics of exceptional quality, any of which would have given a world class recording.  But if I were in a pro audio store shopping for a mic for MY voice (and they were all priced the same), I would have left with the MK7.  I felt the the MK7 had a very slightly more forward sound, with a touch more 3D.  Comparatively, there was an ever so slight bit of smear on the Wunders.  And between the two Wunders, I would have chosen the cheaper CM7-GT with the EF86 and non repro body/grille over the EF-14 and repro body CM7, but again, all three were very similar.

I left this shootout a little surprised.  I expected the MK7 to be good, but not this good.  All three mics used the same Thiersch mylar M7s, but the MK7 didn't have the hallowed VF-14/EF-14 tube, and had a cheap-ass Chinese grill/body, with the wrong mesh/internal geometry.  This leaves me to wonder about weather or not the importance of these two features has been overstated.  I collect vintage guitars, so I'm used to dealing with runaway fokelore.  I'm not saying that there was no difference between the different grills or tubes, there was.  I'm just saying that my initial impression is that the differences have possibly been overstated.  To be fair though, I should also point out that this shootout was done for voice only.  The grill differences might show up more with source material containing more HF information, like a drum room.  Also, one thing I haven't mentioned yet is that we also rolled tubes in the MK7.  The differences between two EF86 samples was MUCH greater than between the better EF86 and the EF-14.  Somewhat surprisingly, the Russian Svetlana tube trounced my NOS GE.  Both were completely noise free, but the GE had a blanketed smear compared to the Svetlana.  I also had an Amprex Bugle Boy with me that unfortunately didn't work.  

Later on we tried some other mics that weren't as similar to a U-47.  We did a Soundelux 251, a Brauner VM-1, a Royer Mojave circuit with Dales C37 capsule, and a new Gus design (can't reveal details yet).  There were some really nice mics here, but nothing to put a damper on my excitement over the MK7.  Let me also add a teaser that Gus new design is something really really special, and I say this after having heard a lot of Gus' work.

My conclusions:
1.  The MK7 mic costing $1000 to build is every bit as good as well crafted $3000-$7000 U-47 type mics.
2.  I found less effect from grill/body (for vocals) than I expected, and probably won't bother migrating the mic to Skylar's body.
3.  I found bigger differences between EF-86's than between a particular EF-86 and an EF-14.
4.  Max, you've done a great thing for this community.  Thanks.

Edit:  just wanted to point out that my initial impression about the mic being "woolly" was due to the GE tube.  No more wooliness with the Svetlana tube.

Emperor Tomato Ketchup said:
2.  I found less effect from grill/body (for vocals) than I expected, and probably won't bother migrating the mic to Skylar's body.

I agree.

My experience has been that the capsule and tube is truly the most significant stuff. This may sound obvious, but whenever I have changed or modified bodies I have noticed very little change. I know that there are some that swear by headgrills and stuff but I really believe the impact of the mic body on the sound is very subtle and less significant than a lot of people mantain. This is just my opinion anyway and I resepect other people may have different views.

Especially when it comes to the capsule, the holy grail original neumann's that people obseess about strike me as having one significant difference to the clones: - the actual neumann capsule itself! Maybe this is what makes them so wonderful and expensive. Go figure....

To add some more to the thread.  I forgot to bring my calipers a bunch of EF86s and camera.

The grill does make a difference I have built the same FET circuit in two phantom powered microphones(matched fets and operating points) with the China 32mms from MXLs you can move the capsules the sound change follows the microphone grill/body.  One is built in a piece of fence post and the other in a MXLV67 body.
That posted the 1050 etc grill is maybe close enough to the U47 design.  

What I heard was more clarity with Max's design and Chris's build.  It could also have something to do with the power supplies.

I liked the Elux251.
The Wunder's did have a difference in the  grills one had a flatter top and the other a dome top.

Thanks for the heads up Michael I forgot!

Now please kindly update yours, all I see is some advertisment for a microphone. That doesn't tell anybody anything about who you are. ;D

Peace
Illumination

Looks more pro than most pro does , inside & out Nice !
It sounds as good ?

your psu problems remind of the the chance amc chineve dilema
as i've heard before , it seems the chinese haven't learned / and
aren't making good xfmr copies yet

About the paint... is it the Premium Rustoleum spray can?  I've tried the standard Rustoleum from Home Despot and it never finishes that well.  Did you do multiple coats?

Thanks for all your info Chris! Beautiful build, and it's nice to see someone as impressed by this mic as I am. I've had mine (same body as yours) in my studio for a year now and I have yet to fall out of love with it. It has worked great on vocals, acoustic guitars, drum overheads, and voice over sessions for a lot of different voices. I've had the chance to put it against some other nice mics as well, and although some were not an apples-to-apples type comparison (not all U47 types) it has been apparent to me that this mic is a keeper.

I've played a bit with swapping tubes, capacitor values/types, and also tried a couple of different capsules (Dale M7 and Peluso). Lots of subtle and some not-so-subtle differences, and many different opinions to be had. I've been interested in the Thiersch capsule, would love to hear an impression of the differences between that and Dale's M7 in this mic if you ever get around to it.

-Paul

illacov said:

Now please kindly update yours, all I see is some advertisment for a microphone. That doesn't tell anybody anything about who you are. ;D

Peace
Illumination

People here know who I am and what I do. I don't come here and probe for information without an annouced affiliation - something that the hard-working folks here don't really appreciate.

Michael_Joly said:
illacov said:

Peace
Illumination

People here know who I am and what I do. I don't come here and probe for information without an annouced affiliation - something that the hard-working folks here don't really appreciate.

Well I'm sorry that you think I'm here to probe but my membership here precedes my job with JJ Audio Mics. As far as hard working folks, because ETK told me about Vermont Laser Works I promptly called them and spoke with Lenny, who is a great guy btw and he will be doing our badges for our mics.

I actually participated in this thread because I liked the guys work, as well I was intrigued to find that ETK mentioned that he'd had problems with the Chinese PSU transformers, because we'd experienced the same thing when we've serviced mics for people or modded them.  I fail to see where I've only been on these forums to probe information from people, especially since my membership here precedes my job at JJ Audio Mics.  Look at the threads I've participated in and my activities on this site. Everybody here can know me too with a click of the button, its called the search function.

Please stop insinuating I've been stealing information (how do you steal a public source?? Can you steal a 84 Lumber or a machine shop?) or culling it from you in particular, you don't see me following you around the internet making claims about your activities.

Peace
Illumination

Guys,  I think we are all good here now.  We now know who Langston is affiliated with, and we already knew who Michael Jolly is affiliated with.  No one is stealing anything, it's public information.  No one is hiding anything, no one tried to sneak anything.  Langston immediately changed his signature as soon as he was requested to do so.

Langston, I hope the badges work out well for you.

-Chris

The badge was laser engraved from black anodized aluminum.  ...

What thickness, btw?

Thanks for sharing so many details.  I've been on the verge of a similar approach for some time...

Negligible thickness.  The laser only ablates the dye from the anodized layer and doesn't really penetrate much deeper.  For all practical purposes, the "engraving" is only 2D.  On a softer material, lasers do remove noticeable amounts of material, more like conventional engraving.

Guys,  I think we are all good here now.  We now know who Langston is affiliated with, and we already knew who Michael Jolly is affiliated with.  No one is stealing anything, it's public information.  No one is hiding anything, no one tried to sneak anything.  Langston immediately changed his signature as soon as he was requested to do so.

Langston, I hope the badges work out well for you.

-Chris

Thanks for the kind words Chris.

Lenny is an absolute riot on the phone, a great guy all around. I have been sketching up logos back and forth with Jim for a while now, trying to find that right combination of style and relevance, all the while fitting onto that little badge. Pure fun either way. Thank you for the referral.

Peace
Illumination

Thanks... I meant what thickness was your anodized aluminum sheet?  While I'm here, might as well ask where does one get such a sheet?  It's not the thick faceplate stuff?

Chris,

Great Job! This was a well done project!  ;) I wish i had one to work on as i have been having the itch to make this mic but don't have max's nice transformer and PCB!  :'( Anyway Thanks for the description of the shootout it is helpful to know what to expect!

Latest posts

Back