mmm...ok?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-T4B-Optical-Attenuator-NOS-New-Old-Stock-Teletronix-LA-2A-Urei-LA-3A-/111625105416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fd5ff008

I thought this kind of nonsense was starting to fade on evilslay. Guess there's always an opportunist handy.

It's the original one with the 220Ω resistor taped on the side!!! That's why the price is that, seems reasonable if the pic of the resistor is true...

JS

What he didn't mention is that they don't actually age (ie; mature) in a linear fashion and the the best sounding point in their ageing-curve is quite a bit past their stated life term but only for about a year before their only useful purpose is for a childs night lite. That and "no-one" who knows how to mix puts kick drums through a T4B so that comment is obviously a red-herring.

This auction is for one new old stock T4B Optical Attenuator.  This T4B was made by Urei/JBL/Harmon in their last production run of this electronic part.  While Universal Audio makes a knock off of this part, this is an original new old stock part.  There is a definite difference in sound between an original T4B and the current knock off T4B.  If you want your Teletronix LA-2A or Urei LA-3A to have the original sound, then you need an original T4B.  This T4B is brand new and has never been used, but I had to open the shipping box to make sure the item was there when I bought it.  If you plan on using your Teletronix LA-2A or Urei LA-3A for a period of years, you need a working T4B and at least one spare because they don't last forever.  If you own a pair of Teletronix LA-2As or Urei LA-3As and they are strapped for stereo, when the T4B fails in one unit, you have to replace the T4Bs in both units or they won't stereo track correctly.  Urei/JBL/Harmon will never manufacture the T4B again.  You might be reading this and thinking if I wait long enough, the price on these T4Bs will come down.  That will NEVER happen.  The price, over time, will only go up.  I own a pair of Teletronix LA-2As and a pair of Urei LA-3As and I knew that Urei/JBL/Harmon wouldn't be manufacturing T4Bs forever so I bought a quantity large enough so I had enough to operate my LA-2As and LA-3As for the rest of my life.  I bought enough that I can sell off some and still have enough for the long term operation of my LA-2As and LA-3As.  There is no way that I'd ever use the knock off T4B from Universal Audio because just as their knock off LA-2As and LA-3As don't sound like the originals, their T4Bs don't sound like the originals either.  There are plenty of Teletronix LA-2As and Urei LA-3As still being used in studios all over the U. S. and the world.  Eventually, everyone of them will need a new T4B because they don't last forever and as they begin to fail, they lose their ability to compress.  My experience is that a typical new T4B lasts for about 3900 hours (that's 15 hours of use per week for 5 years) used in an audio chain.  If you use it with a kick drum or anything else that has sudden lurches in audio gain, the T4B can fail much more quickly.  Unless somebody else has a quantity of new old stock T4Bs, I'm probably the only person who'll be selling them.  Without a functional T4B, you can throw your Teletronix LA-2A or Urei LA-3A in the toilet because they will be totally worthless.  You are buying this item in "as is" condition with no warranty expressed or implied.  If you want to buy this item and are outside of the U. S., know that the shipping costs to your country will be SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER depending upon where in the world you live.  If you live outside of the U. S., your Fedex International shipping rates will be somewhere in the range of between $200.00 and $400.00.  If you bid on and win this item and are outside of the U. S., you guarantee to pay whatever the Fedex International shipping costs are to your country because we will NOT ship to any country outside of the U. S. by U. S. Mail.  If you are outside of the U. S. and win this auction, we will notify you what the shipping costs are to your country at the end of the auction.  If this T4B Optical Attenuator is sold in the U. S., insurance for the full value is mandatory and will be an additional charge added on to the invoice price.

Latest posts

Back