Modding EQ for Variable Q shape

Help Support GroupDIY:

porkyc

Part 2 from above.
Having now looked at the PCB, the pots are going to have to be dual-concentric with a pull, but trying to interlace the 2 mid pots (with said switches) and the existing HF/LF shelves will be difficult.
Probably best route is to strip the EQ out, as has been mentioned and replace with complete EQ daughter board including pass amps.
This is how the Roger Troisi EQs are done for the MCI JH600.
You might be able to use the existing pass amps, but the tuned circuits may well have to move to the daughter board.
The cost of the pots may well be prohibitive, so, cost effectiveness?..................
PC

porkyc

Part 3 from above.
Back on the don't bother path.
But, you could do a lot to improve the mids with just 3 capacitor changes.
The mids have no overlap so you cannot do anything at 3K and 10K at the same time.
Also, the Q on the mids is quite high, using caps at 3:1 ratio.
Changing 3 caps gives you a softer Q, (the same as the "Thriller" EQ) and overlapping ranges of 220-5k and 470-10K.
C20 2n2, C22 4n7, C21 10n.
These chosen because of stock values, the ranges can be tweaked but would require more esoteric values. You could lower the 4K7 Rs to widen the range of each band. Even just to 4K3 gives a slightly nicer range. With the 100K frequency pots you could have 2 very wide ranging mids. The MCI JH500 has 2 wide ranging mids offset by 1/2 octave. The Harrison MR2 just had 2 identical mids 400-8K, as did their MPC film board.

You can see why the Orion ranges are as they are, because of the splitting of the shelving/mids between the the chan/mon paths.
Never let sales people design consoles; all you get is "features" you never knew you needed. The rest of the world moves the whole EQ between ch/mon), thus giving you one good 4-band EQ as opposed to two not very good ones.

Improve what you've got and build a Net EQ or a Sontec clone. It'll be cheaper.
PC

Barrylime

Mr. Grumpy here.
A. I can't help but feeling the rest of the world would make an outboard EQ if you are going to make anything. How many times at once do you need this capability?

B. You said, " I would love to know how realistic/feasible this mod is."

I would suggest that everyone here has answered your question as to the feasability of this.
ie not much/none!
You cannot easily modify a wien based bandpass filter to switchable/variable Q, the Q is a function of the ratio of the capacitors, as obviously is the frequency range. You also have to pad the input to the wien (with the higher Q) to maintain the +/- range, so the amount of switching that has to take place.................... No thanks!!

C. Having said "none" however, you could do daughter board(s) that replaces the wien with a SVF with switchable Q. The switching is simple (changeover/shorting out of a resistor). This would be a pull-pot on the level pot, (cheaper than on the dual RA frequency pot). 2 dual chips.
The point of the SVF is that the 3 parameters are independent (in theory).
This is how a Nashville based manufacturer did this. You either ordered stock EQ with wien circuits or enhanced EQ with SVF sitting in the same place in the circuit. The inverting pass amps were on the main board, the tuned circuits were on daughter boards.
My2p's worth.
Thanks for the reply! I have found someone who is designing the mod for me at the moment, I will update this thread in the months to come.

Barrylime

Part 3 from above.
Back on the don't bother path.
But, you could do a lot to improve the mids with just 3 capacitor changes.
The mids have no overlap so you cannot do anything at 3K and 10K at the same time.
Also, the Q on the mids is quite high, using caps at 3:1 ratio.
Changing 3 caps gives you a softer Q, (the same as the "Thriller" EQ) and overlapping ranges of 220-5k and 470-10K.
C20 2n2, C22 4n7, C21 10n.
These chosen because of stock values, the ranges can be tweaked but would require more esoteric values. You could lower the 4K7 Rs to widen the range of each band. Even just to 4K3 gives a slightly nicer range. With the 100K frequency pots you could have 2 very wide ranging mids. The MCI JH500 has 2 wide ranging mids offset by 1/2 octave. The Harrison MR2 just had 2 identical mids 400-8K, as did their MPC film board.

You can see why the Orion ranges are as they are, because of the splitting of the shelving/mids between the the chan/mon paths.
Never let sales people design consoles; all you get is "features" you never knew you needed. The rest of the world moves the whole EQ between ch/mon), thus giving you one good 4-band EQ as opposed to two not very good ones.

Improve what you've got and build a Net EQ or a Sontec clone. It'll be cheaper.
PC
all very great info! I might consider some of the things you have said on the existing channels (seeing I have pcb replicas to make new ones and more drastically mod/change by removing the EQ).

Latest posts