Modern replacements for Molex KK connectors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am using some kk's as well. I have a very cheap crimper and am bending the small tabs around the insulation and the bare wire with needle nose pliers before I crimp and after if necessary. For this reason I am also soldering. I also make sure the little locking tab is bent up a little before I insert it into the housing. I insert the pin until I can see the locking tab fully in the little hole. If it is not fully inserted I use the needle nose pliers to grab the wire just behind the pin and carefully push until it locks. The only time I have had a problem is if the locking tab is not bent up enough. In that case I pull it out , bend up the tab and reinsert it. I have not had any be destroyed doing it this way. Have to be very careful to only use a little solder. I know soldering these is contentious. I do not anticipate doing a large amount of this so I can't justify the cost of a "real" crimper.

I use a clone of the kk connectors from Rapid electronics made by jyk.  Example https://www.rapidonline.com/jyk-h2500-02-2-pole-crimp-housing-22-0905 

The only difference I can see is they are a lot cheaper than the Molex version.

Martin Griffith said:
The Molex crimps annoy me, I have 1 type of KK housing, and had to get a different set of KK crimps, as the ones I had would not latch.

Annoying.

Martin

That sounds like it is the problem I’m having. I have an assortment of types. Some with the angled profile that runs the length of the housing and others with the two protrusions at each end of the housing.

I’ve been using a single pin type. If each housing needs a different pin type I must have a mismatch.

It could be a giant kludge because the headers are installed. I don’t want to buy more KK stuff to match the headers. I was trying to get rid of what I have.

Paul,
Found this addendum on RS components
"Engineering Note for the Molex KK Range of Series 2695 Housings and associated Contacts
The Molex Product Change Note [10522149] allows the use of Terminal Families 8808 and 4809 as
well as 2759, 6459 and 41572 with these housings. The result of this change has altered the
appearance of the terminal entry window but functionality remains identical.
Customer feedback since the above change has led to RS Components publishing this note due to an
increased difficulty in fitting the terminals into the housings. To alleviate this difficulty it is essential
that the Molex Insertion tool 63812-0000, RS Components stock number 710-6528, is used. The tool
is designed to assure proper seating of terminals and reduce operator fatigue."

Martin

I don’t know exactly what housings and pins I have. I don’t want to spend the time to figure it out because I don’t want to buy more stuff. I am also skeptical that an insertion tool will fix this.

I will never use these things for anything that matters. I just want to get rid of what I have.

Just been trying to find matching crimps, for a one-off project.... Grrrr.

That s why I started this thread in the first place. I still haven't found a reasonable replacement.

Back to searching

Back