Modify the Shure SM57 Microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Marik"][quote author="clintrubber"]
but why make it look like a Shure...[/quote]

Good way to get sued?[/quote]

Yes, probably something not learned from the 8*bus/MX8000 of some other DE-brand...

It's a pity, since they have a complete mic-line under their own brand
which I don't know (just the ribbon) but it al looks nice - at least for the price. But then they have that '75 (...)

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="Marik"][quote author="clintrubber"]
but why make it look like a Shure...[/quote]

Good way to get sued?[/quote]

Yes, probably something not learned from the 8*bus/MX8000 of some other DE-brand...
[/quote]

Actually, with T-bone (as well as some other companies), I won't be surprised to see some other court affairs not only for the "look" reason, but for definite patent infridgements.

Actually guys the ones i'm talkin about are counterfeit sures in sure boxes with sure badges etc.

It was in the local pro audio press that they are being dumped out of China.

[quote author="Jeremy H"]Actually guys the ones i'm talkin about are counterfeit sures in sure boxes with sure badges etc.

It was in the local pro audio press that they are being dumped out of China.[/quote]

Sure (no pun), was understood. Sorry for taking the counterfeit thing in a slightly different direction.
I wouldn't be surprised though that the very same machine that spits out those '57/'75-bodies see them end up both as Shure-counterfeits as well as T-Bone (& other inspired-by) house-brands.

Bye

The iron giveth and the iron taketh away. :green:

If anyone does this, send your "removed" transformer to cj so he can test and hack it up (if he wants to, that is...). Maybe it just needs a lam replacement.

[quote author="craigmorris74"]I have one SM57 that sounds a little rough and am thinking of fixing it up. What would be a suitable transfomer that would fit in the body?[/quote]

The transformer is custom wound ~13 ohm:300 ohms. Anyway I think a common-base transistor circuit like those used on MC preamps but maybe balanced (if CB balanced circuits are possible) might work but propably have a little bit more noise.

I did this mod to both a 57 and a 58 a few years ago. Insanely low output afterwards, but able to record insanely LOUD sources with them (without overloading your preamp).

:grin:

Both sound killer in a kick drum / on a loud bass cabinet / loud guitar cabinet. It definitely opened up the frequency extremes, but requires too much gain to be practical when recording low-level material.

Great for rock guitar cabinets and drums, however.

All theory aside... if you can afford to do this to one of your 57's or 58's, you'll have an interesting mic to work with.

Great on some things, lousey on others. But really really great on some things...

I have done this modification to an SM57, and was very happy with it. The output is MUCH lower, as to be expected, but the sound is wonderful. I have gotten no noise or hiss from this mod. It really does sound a lot closer to my SM7 now. After removing the transformer, I added a Rode D-Power to the inside of the mic. This required boring some of the metal inside the mic to get the D-Power to fit. This is not a mod for the faint of heart, as you can easily destroy your '57. After adding the D-Power, the mic had a much higher handling noise and some nasty resonances due to removing much of the internal structure and the glue holding the transformer in. To resolve this, I filled the mic with hot glue. This brought the handling noise back down to original levels and completely removed the new resonances. One thing now though, there is some hiss coming out of the D-Power. It is not usable on low level sources, but it works great on rock vocals, keys, drums, and percussion. I haven't tried it on guitar or bass yet. It's definately worth the $90 to try removing the transformer from your '57. You will get a new mic that sounds very different from the rest of your '57's. You will, however, need a pre-amp with a lot of clean gain to get usuable signal from this mod.

Cheers,
Zach

Honestly, I don't get it .
Putting time and effort in a cheap sounding 57.
It's a crap microphone anyway.
You can find much (less popular) better mics for the same money IMHO

[quote author="andre tchmil"]Honestly, I don't get it .
You can find much (less popular) better mics for the same money IMHO[/quote]Right, it makes me wonder how a MD421 would sound after a boiling water treatment !

The '421 has a TX, right ?

The 421 has much more room inside for a better German transformer. The '57 is definately not an awesome mic, but it doesn't suck either. For the money you pay for it, it is one of the better mics around. There is, after all, a good reason that everyone in the world of audio has at least a few '57's hanging around.

Cheers,
Zach

You can find much (less popular) better mics for the same money IMHO[/quote]

Im not a champion of the 57 in general or anything, but this is pretty far off base. with a top notch micpre a 57 is not inherently cheap sounding. In your opinion what "less popular" mics are better?

I only own one 57 at this point so I'm not going to do the mod but it does seem a little interesting. I already have an SM7 and scads of other "better" dynamic mics so squeaking a little performance out of a cheap mic isnt really a concern, but I still wouldn't mind having a super-headroom SM57 around. I would not mess with any of my 421s personally.

mike

Best Sure mod for me is the 58 with it's basket removed. Obviously only on cabs/snares/etc NOT vocals. - PSSST! Wanna discuss an extended top end? :wink:

just try it on a gtr cab or snare top n' bottom.

or, - just use a 421! HA!

AndyP

If you don't at least TRY this, you're missing out. You can pick up a good, used 57 dirt freaking cheap and just yank the transformer. Don't screw with the Rode thingy, just yank the trannie and give it listen.

It's a different mic.... sounds nothing like a 57 to me (I personally don't like 57's at all, which is why I tried this mod in the first place, I figured there was nothing to lose).

I was shocked, and I bet you would be too. :wink:

Whatever you do, don't judge this mod based on theory. Use your ears instead.

The man with an experience is not at the mercy of the one with a theory.

:green:

JC

You can find much (less popular) better mics for the same money IMHO[/quote]

its a crap microphone? really?

A u47 would sound like dogshit too if you put a crummy 8 cent transformer in it.

Ive been using two different modified sm57's for the last maybe four years and they are among the better mics I have...

dave

57 do not suck. All the instruments in a mix can NOT be as large as life with full bandwidth or you'd have no layers. I use 57's along with ribbons & a 421 on guitars all the time & it's hard to tell which one will sit in the mix just right. The 57 wins about 35% of the time but when it wins it's now 100%... for that song at least... but that's the point. Whatever works. I agree it's not an end all be all but IMHO, a 57 is a definite contender & must have.

This thread IS NOT about weather 57's are good or not.

rascalseven,
Thanks man, I'll be trying it soon myself. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back