Modify the Shure SM57 Microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="soundguy"][quote author="andre tchmil"]Honestly, I don't get it .
Putting time and effort in a cheap sounding 57.
It's a crap microphone anyway.
You can find much (less popular) better mics for the same money IMHO[/quote]

its a crap microphone? really?

A u47 would sound like dogshit too if you put a crummy 8 cent transformer in it.

Ive been using two different modified sm57's for the last maybe four years and they are among the better mics I have...

dave[/quote]

Could you share those mods with us?
What sources do you feel the modded 57's shine on?

Thanks
Kevin

[quote author="khstudio"]
[/quote]

no, sorry.

experiment, you'll find something you like.

dave

The bulk of my productions from 10 years ago and further back all had 57's on gtrs (only 57) and on snare and all toms. Some of these albums are now considered cult (could be the bad sound :green: ) and still referred to often as template for more recent jobs
These 57 are now about 15-18 year old.
Some of them are pre mexican built. Maybe that's the real difference?

I had them sorted out after going tru 24 57's.
You would be amazed to find out how much they differ in the first place... (we match resistor's for maximum performance difference of less than 1 % - stock 57's seem to have 5 to 10 % deviation... some quality control sh*re has...)

Will definitely try the mod on a few, I've also been using a 58 with the plopstop removed, nothing special, some some difference was my impression...

just my 0,02 ?

[quote author="soundguy"][quote author="khstudio"]
[/quote]

no, sorry.

experiment, you'll find something you like.

dave[/quote]

Are you serious?

will order a few cheapo thomann 57 rips and try to get the trannie removed from these... seems like an interesting experiment

[quote author="tony dB"]will order a few cheapo thomann 57 rips and try to get the trannie removed from these... seems like an interesting experiment[/quote]
Same thing came to mind during reading page 3, and there it was on page 4 ! :wink:
Cool you'll already be trying it ! Please let us know how it turned out :thumb:

Peter, you convinced me :green:
I will order them today, maybe these mikes will start sounding like something instead of nothing?

[quote author="tony dB"]Peter, you convinced me :green:
I will order them today, maybe these mikes will start sounding like something instead of nothing?[/quote]
The big question here is of course how good the capsule is.
Let's hope they spend that EU35 on the capsule & housing, so not on the to-be-thrown-out TX :wink:

[quote author="tony dB"]frankly, to build a better capsule then the sh*re 57 you don't have to do miracles innit?[/quote]
:thumb:
And if it turns out crappy, then how much for a Thomann & an original Shure replacement capsule ? That'll only be worth the trouble if no cheap & simple real '57 shows up. I don't see those 2ndhand too often, but it'll be different in the US as I understood.
OK, here's one, new, ?70: http://www.marktplaats.nl/index.php...ziek_en_instrumenten/microfoons/27521117.html

Bye,

Peter

Actually, a lot of newer dynamic mics don't even have a transformer. I don't know about the t.bone 75 (never used one) but my beyer M300 and M400 are transformerless. The capsule goes directly to the XLR. Same with the Neumann BCM705 dynamic broadcast mic - which is based on an older Sennheiser capsule btw.

Yeah, many (most?) dynamics don't use transformers.

AKG very rarely use transformers - the capsules are usually 200 Ohms.

As Rossi says, Beyer rarely use them either. Many Sennheiser microphones don't have them either (for Low-Z anyway).

Beyer moving-coil microphones are great :razz:

[quote author="rodabod"]

Beyer moving-coil microphones are great :razz:[/quote]

That's right! :thumb: I'm a Beyer man. Other brands have good mics, too, but Beyer dynamics are pretty consistently cool mics, even the lesser known models.

<The trafo once it comes out is covered in glue and a pain to do anything with...>

thats a good one! :grin:

HEy, I noticed no discussion on which vintage, 60's, 70's 80's whatever, SM57 is better?
And whats with the Beta 57 I bought?
Did the punk at GC give me a bad steer?
Becuase I have their address, but they don't have mine, if you can relate to my trip, man?

I need a 57 trans. I need it now.

Gus told me the soundguy mod.
50 bucks and a PM and it's yours! :grin:

You gotta what these Jersey freaks.
They don't play by the same rules.

[quote author="CJ"]<The trafo once it comes out is covered in glue and a pain to do anything with...>

thats a good one! :grin:

HEy, I noticed no discussion on which vintage, 60's, 70's 80's whatever, SM57 is better?
And whats with the Beta 57 I bought?
Did the punk at GC give me a bad steer?
Becuase I have their address, but they don't have mine, if you can relate to my trip, man?

I need a 57 trans. I need it now.

Gus told me the soundguy mod.
50 bucks and a PM and it's yours! :grin:

You gotta what these Jersey freaks.
They don't play by the same rules.[/quote]

No man, I don't relate to your trip & I'm no freak there dude.

Thanks for your responce, it was helpful :roll:

From what I understand there is a difference between the years but what, I don't know.

If there's a rule sheet, post it. I tried to share by starting this thread so what's your problem?

I've been told the Unidyne III (I think) series sounds better than current (Mexican) 57's, though I haven't tried them.

I've heard rumors that the dies used to cut the current 57 diaphragms are the exact same ones used 25+ years ago and that they've become worn and affected the quality of the diaphragm (sounds silly to me, but who knows?).

In any event, both my transformerless 57 and 58 are Mexican issues, and I really enjoy them both.

By the way, sources I really like them on include kick drum, snare (both top and bottom) and guitar and bass cabinets. Good room mics too, though more gain needed than when close-miking loud sources.

I'm going to a gun range in a few weeks to record gunshots, point blank, with my Mbox 2, and I plan on using these mics since their SPL handling is ridiculous. That will be interesting....

JC

Perfect application for that!
I am taking a 57 to "The Hole" at the end of the month to
do some sub-terainian recordings of barbells crasjhing off
a steel ladder that hangs down a 3000 foot verticalmine shaft.
Should be cool.

The first 57 I saw was at a garage band reherashall down the street in 1964.
I was hooked after that. They were 100 bucks back then even! I think.
Must have been the Unidyne's back then.

[quote author="CJ"]Perfect application for that!
I am taking a 57 to "The Hole" at the end of the month to
do some sub-terainian recordings of barbells crasjhing off
a steel ladder that hangs down a 3000 foot verticalmine shaft.
Should be cool.
[/quote]

What???? :shock:
Are you gonna document "The Hole" again?! This time with sound clips? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yeah, the ol' trusty tank-built SM57 would be perfect for ya, baked old farts.
Make sure to get pics and clips before and after :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

Latest posts

Back