Modular Summing Amp - Advice Needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjoneson

A little bit of background...

Around 1970 my grandfather worked as an engineering coordinator for the Johnny Cash show down in Nashville, and later was involved in engineering duties at several local TV stations after moving to Omaha, NE (my home town). During this time, he was developing what's been described to me by my father as a tape / programming automation "computer" for TV. My grandfather died of a heart attack in 1974 long before I was born, but my dad has kept this unit and all of the schematics my grandfather was developing. It's been untouched for the last 40 years.

While the original use for the unit has long since been filled with computers and automated equipment, I've always thought it would be really cool to salvage it, and create something useful with it. I know it's a little silly and esoteric, but the thought of passing signal through something my grandfather (a man I never met, but have come to deeply respect) labored over, would be kind of special and bring a little extra "energy" to the work I do (mainly mixing).

The unit itself is a about 5u 19" rackmount, with a series of about 8 "modules" very similar to the API 500 series format.

What I think I'd like to attempt is to create a summing mixer / amplifier, split into 8 input modules (2-3), and a make up / sum amp module. 2 busses (L-R).

At this point I'm considering a passive / unbalanced summing design, into ClassicAPI's summing board. I could potentially add additional summing amp modules for different flavors, but the classic API one seems like a good starting point.

In regards to the input modules, I'd like to incorporate an L-C-R switch for bus assignment, but don't need any pots or faders.

I'm a very self motivated guy, and will be happy to do leg work and reading, but hoping there's more experienced folks around here who  would be willing to lend a hand with the design process.

I'll be getting ahold of the actual unit later this week, and will post some pictures for reference. In the meantime, I need to start developing schematics for the input modules, and get a better understanding of how they would then be wired to the ClassicAPI summing amp.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I put something together for the input module(s), based on the INA134 receiver. Each input module will support 8 channels via TASCAM balanced DB-25 spec.

Any thoughts / considerations here? Do I actually have the INA134 implemented properly for this application? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Summing-Amplifier.png
    Summing-Amplifier.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 53
Modified the bus resistor configuration. My understanding is that when assigning to both buses (Center), the total resistance needs to increase by 1.4x. This configuration gets much closer to that ratio.

Attachments

• Summing-Amplifier (1).png
    Summing-Amplifier (1).png
    25.5 KB · Views: 27
> resistance needs to increase by 1.4x.

10K/15K was a lot closer to 1.414 than 10K/10.430K is.

> getting ahold of the actual unit later this week... In the meantime, I need to start developing schematics for the input modules

Myself, I'd study this thing for a long while before making plans.

(Yes, I have too many projects "under study".)

PRR said:
10K/15K was a lot closer to 1.414 than 10K/10.430K is.

Bah... 4.3k should be the values there. Thanks for taking a look. In regards to the unit, I've had my hands on it at my parent's place and plan on scrapping / replacing the PCBs in the modules with the input module circuits, and one or more selectable summing amps with different topologies. The unit is remarkably similar to an API Lunchbox, but the modules plug into a back plane with a whole pile of point to point wiring and 20-30 mechanical relays. Obviously the backplane will need to be redone to suit this application.

If possible I'd love to salvage some of the components an reuse them, but will have to wait till I get it here to study more closely.

Any other thoughts on the input module circuit?

I'm comfortable prototyping, but am no EE. But willing to learn!

Thanks again!

I've updated the input module, and began putting some ideas together for a discrete / transformer output summing amp module. I did the amp based on the John Hardy 990 op amp in a VE summing config, with carnhill output transformers for balancing. Puling bits and pieces from all over the place, and taking a stab at it.

Any thoughts / suggestions are greatly appreciated. I certainly don't mind "learning to fish" as necessary!

Attachments

• Input Module.png
    Input Module.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 14
Made a few additional revisions. In consulting with some other folks, the summing resistor configuration and L/R/C bus assign switching had some serious flaws. I think that's sorted now. I've also added a servo to the sum amp to handle DC offset since the whole thing is coupled (and I think that's the approach I'd like to keep).

Any thoughts / suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Input Module.png
    Input Module.png
    23 KB · Views: 12
Back