Molex KK 0.1 inch pitch receptacles

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops!! just went to order some from Farnell and they are now on back order so if you have a few you can spare I would be very grateful to receive them.

Cheers

Ian

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who PM'd me and sent me some of their precious stock of Molex connectors. I now have enough for my project and a few spare. I also got a great tip about buying them on eBay. I never buy parts on eBay so this was a new experience for me but I am pleased to say that it turned out OK. Although the parts were not quite what I expected (funny how eBay pics can omit just the detail you want to see) they did mate with the headers I use. I now have three different types of receptacle all of which mate with the one type of header. So, once again, groupDIY comes to the rescue.

Cheers

Ian

I finally go round to using some of the Molex receptacles various people kindly sent me. Unfortunately I ran into a problem. The Molex crimps that I normally used will not fit. That is they go in but not far enough to click. There is nothing obviously different about the size and shape of the holes that take the crimps in these connectors but they just will not allow the crimps I have to go in far enough. I am just wondering if there is a different type of Moles KK crimp? Other than that I have no idea why these do not work.

The ones I bought off eBay are the same. The vendor also sells crimps so I ordered a bunch from him to see if they work.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
What Molex crimps are you using? I had a similar issue a while back but it was when I bought a new crimp tool. It turned out my crimping technique was to blame.

That’s why I stopped using KK. There are a lot of KK part numbers. I assume there are subtle differences and unless you get the exactly correct pin and housing combination they don’t work.

The ones I sent were purchased from Mouser.

What Molex crimps are you using? I had a similar issue a while back but it was when I bought a new crimp tool. It turned out my crimping technique was to blame.
I am using the same crimps and ratchet crimp tool I have been using for years. Never has this problem. I am using 08-50-0032 crimps.

Cheers

Ian

The mystery deepens. I got the contacts from the eBay seller today and they are different to the ones I have been using for many years. The left screenshot below shows the ones I normally use and in the right pic are similar to the ones I got from the eBay seller. You can see the ones I have include an extra foldable tab. Now the data sheet for the receptacles I use has the text of the third image on its drawing which seems to imply a wide range of contacts can be used. This explains why my contacts will not fit all the way into some receptacles. The eBay contacts seem to fit in any Molex receptacle. I diddiscover an hour ago that if I really push my normal contacts hard with a screwdriver they will reluctantly fit into all receptacles but it is not a solution I am comfortable with. I guess I will probably need to buy some genuine Molex contacts like the eBay ones and use those eveywhere.

As usual, connectors specs are obtuse, obscure and guaranteed to give you a headache. Why oh why cannot connector manufacturers not include on their receptacle spec sheet " use the following contacts" and list their numbers and essential; characteristics.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-12-08 21-15-21.png
    Screenshot from 2021-12-08 21-15-21.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot from 2021-12-08 21-17-17.png
    Screenshot from 2021-12-08 21-17-17.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot from 2021-12-08 21-32-21.png
    Screenshot from 2021-12-08 21-32-21.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 2