Monster Cable - at it again

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrs

Trying to extort money out of small buissiness.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Buy-a-Monster-Mini-Golf-Coupon-fight-Corporate-bully_W0QQitemZ250342990519QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250342990519&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I had hoped they'd grown up by now... Haven't bought anything by Monster in years and I don't plan to ever again (you think they'll sue us? maybe I should say M*O*N*S*T*E*R) .. what a bunch of wankers...

I've read so many crazy stories about Monster cable.  Even before I heard of their legal hell, I never liked their quality/price ratio so I've never purchased anything they make.  Ever since I started reading these stories, I've been telling everyone about their shady practices and hopefully deterred some people from feeding the monster(pun intended).

I just bought a bunch of monster mini-golf tickets.  No person should be allowed to be persecuted by a big bully regardless of the loopholes in the laws that allow thing sort of thing to happen.

The little guys need to band together to fight off the hordes.

What an absolutely foul and disgusting company they really are !!
That is just "school boy bullying" and I can't believe that they can get away with that ?
How on earth can you claim sole rights to a "word" and claim that any other use of it
is yours .... I can see that they would not want another "audio cable" company to use
"Monster" in their title but as for anything else  ::) ::)

They need a "Monster cable.com" web attack for sure ..... hmmm .....

MM.

I was so delighted when Noel Lee (the head munster) bought Candlestick Park and renamed it Monster.

The preponderance of people hearing of this assumed that it was the online placement service.  Noel paid 6 million to advertize for a different company!!

Bloody Hell!

I  thought business was about EARNING money, not scaring people . . . .

For what it's worth, last time i did a speaker cable shoot-out with 100ft cable runs in a tri-amped active softdome monitoring system(>20YRS ago now!), Monster came BOTTOM on each band, - after 30A mains cable from RS!
Perhaps I will get a nasty legal letter now . . . . . .

Pussies ought to go after Monster energy drink, Monster Munch snacks, Hollywood Studios . . . . .

MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER 
MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER
MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER MONSTER

Now I've gone and done it! I can hear the smack of envelope on doorstep . . . .

LOVE the BlueJeans legal response. Great reading!

ANdyP

I agree that the company is run by jerks, but not all of their products are junk.
I have an AVS 2000 Pro as the backbone of my technical power, and could not be happier.  I git it as payment on a job, and thought I would flip it.  I have 10% fluctuating line voltage because I am far from the transformer, and the AVS is a huge variac that mechanically regulates the power.  A must when working on faulty tube equipment!  I kept it.
Mike

Monster DID go after Monster Energy Drink.  It was settled secretly and there are very few sources for information on this.

I did not read the whole thing but if that company registered the word "Monster" in every single classification (which would cost a fortune)  then they would have the legal entitlement to stop other people using it commercially.

Registering a word was not possible in EU but I think things have changed now. In Us everything was/is possible, starting with "windows".

sahib said:
I did not read the whole thing but if that company registered the word "Monster" in every single classification (which would cost a fortune)  then they would have the legal entitlement to stop other people using it commercially.

Registering a word was not possible in EU but I think things have changed now. In Us everything was/is possible, starting with "windows".

The problem here is Monster Mini Golf have registerd the name legaly.

Monster Cables does not have any comercial; interests in recreationl buissinesses, It claims this but just like everyother company they have settled to avoid heafty legal costs. They have done this to a company who sells golf product and will use this as an excuse.

Apparently the total of companies they have bullied into submission is around the 400 mark. Including Monster.com, Monsters Inc and a Scooby Doo episode with Monster in the title.

Can anyone really say they are within there rights to do this. Theres never seem to get to court but are settled in private so who knows how much Monster cables are making from licencing the name "Monster" to all 400 companies. I bet the IRS don't.

For me, it is not that how Monster cable company can threaten others but how can the others be threatened by it. They must be just a bunch of pussies and whimps.

If you have the name Monster registered in a classification and you are using it commercially, no body can touch you, unless they can prove that they have been using it in the same classification before you. Even then there is a time limit in this.

When you apply to register a trademark, there is a waiting period during which the trademark office accepts objections. Once that period passes and there is no objection the mark is registered and is yours. Now, after the registration the others can still object if they can prove that they have been using it before the registration date. But as I said there is a time limit on this. You can not come back six years later and say that well I have been using it before.

In the case of Scooby Doo and others there must be something else.

They're not liking the bad press.

http://www.monstercable.com/monster_truth/

They made their bed and now they're having trouble sleeping in it.

I don't think so. From what I read on that link they are simply protecting their trademark. And in my view they are 100% right. It seems like Monster Golf is using the name in the classifications that Monster Cable has already registered. And as I said far before Monster Golf started to use it first.

The main point here is that no one, and I mean no one, should be allowed to have an all encompassing trademark on a single word in the english language.

If monster cable, wants their official company name to be simply Monster, then I understand that no other company should be allowed to call themselves simply "monster". However; by registering the name "monster" you should not be allowed to stop other people from using the word as PART of their name.

I mean seriously, can I call my company "and" and then force everyone who uses the word and to stop.

Their whole page dedicated to trying to save face is such a fucking joke. On what planet, does a glow in the dark mini golf centre affect monster cable in any way. The best part of all is the fact that they are licensing the usage of the word monster back to all the companies they bullied into submission...but wait, i thought this was about protecting their brand...?

Retarded, i hope they go bankrupt.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the trademark document shows the monster logo, aren't trademarks more about the visual (hence the word "mark") and less about owning a word outright?

Monster boy wanted $100.00 / month / franchise.  There's 24 Monster Putt Putt's so that was $2400.00 / month.  Supposedly they've bullied 400 companies.  Let's suppose that each company has only 1 franchise, 400 x $100.00 = $40,000.00 per month.  Now factor in Monster energy drink, Monster daht com, and what ever else you can think of and that number has to be much higher.  I'd almost wager he's making as much from licensing as he is from his crappy speaker wire.

This reminds me of Bell Labs, perhaps the greatest think-pool ever created until the lawyers got a hold of it.  Now there's no R & D left there, but there's still a stack of lawyers "protecting" the company's trademarks and patents.  It's sickening.

I'm with Ptown, Svart, Buttery and the like on this one...
I have never bought and at this point never will buy any MONSTER products.
My cables (mic/instrument/speaker) are usually homemade (wired) so I can only blame myself if they suck. 
Monster can kiss my hairy Croatian behind!  ;)

Latest posts

Back