Mu-metal transformer shielding can specifications

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatnik

I am exploring the possibility of getting some mu-metal cans made for shielding audio transformers, and I am trying to figure out a method to properly spec them.

Some manufacturers asked me for the required attenuation in Tesla, and the initial field strength.
From my understanding to obtain this measurement it would require a Gaussmeter but then this figure will vary depending on each project and anyway I am not sure how the attenuation figure in Tesla translates into dB.

I am wondering if possible to just make up a ballpark figure that would lead to an useful amount of attenuation.
I am looking at shielding cans on transformers from Cinemag and Sowter and the thickness of the mumetal seems to be between 0.7-1mm.
Lundahls use much thinner shielding but maybe the C core and the way the multiple windings are arranged makes the transformer less sensitive to magnetic field pickup ?

I am inclined to think a shield 1mm thick should do the job, but then again there seem to be different kinds of mumetal, and I am not sure if different annealing processes can as well impact on the final result.
I am not experienced with this kind of parts so if you have any suggestions that would be much appreciated.

You could look in old transformer catalogs like utc and triad and peerless and steal the specs they use for single shielded, sometimes the add a layer of copper but that is usually between double or triple cans ,

I bet Mr. CMMR would have a better answer

I think I‘ve also read somewhere that several layers of thinner sheets are better than one thick layer.

Latest posts

Back