MXL 603 -> KM84 Replacement PCB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thread? I was just looking for SDC advice. I got what I needed. In spite of not wanting to build a set, I built a set anyway, and ordered some Oktavas as well since they are pretty universally liked.
Be sure to get a pair of the hypercardioid capsules; the best '012 capsule. Very flat, and much better off-axis response than the cardioid.

Hi all! The fresh run of PCBs has arrived. I've sent a bunch of emails for those who have put their name down already, so if you haven't got a from me message yet or would like to add your name to the list please message me and I'll get you sorted. :)

Rock Onwards!

i'm guessing everyone has been using tantalums but i'd love to hear if anyone has found some electrolytics that fit. e.g., for 4.7uF panasonic fc series is 11mm high, and even bending the leads to place the cap at an overall lower height and (less secure) angle, it's just not fitting.
any suggestions?

i like @kato 's use of self-quoting with new info to help out others... if you skip C3, you can make some Panasonic FC's fit. km84 847 build in progress.jpeg

Has anyone tried this in the MXL 603s body? I can't seem to find many regular 603 microphones, but I have no idea if they are the same body size.

i'm guessing everyone has been using tantalums but i'd love to hear if anyone has found some electrolytics that fit. e.g., for 4.7uF panasonic fc series is 11mm high, and even bending the leads to place the cap at an overall lower height and (less secure) angle, it's just not fitting.
any suggestions?
I saw someone replacing some of the Tants with audio grade Lytics, but I can't imagine doing that since the Tants are part of the original design and vintage vibe.

Looking forward to building these, I have a question about donor bodies. Is it just the MXL603 that will work? I also see someone used an Apex 180, would the MXL 991 work as well?
I'm also wondering about the MXL 991, as I have a few of them.

I have read that many MXL SDCs share the same capsule, so perhaps the bodies are similar. If the replacement capsule and PCBs will fit in the 991 body, I would like to experiment with this DIY mod.

Hi there, I am very curious about this PCB and Capsules. I would also be in for 4 pcb‘s. Pls, Tell me if there is an Order… Thank you! Peter

Hi all! The fresh run of PCBs has arrived. I've sent a bunch of emails for those who have put their name down already, so if you haven't got a from me message yet or would like to add your name to the list please message me and I'll get you sorted. :)

Rock Onwards!
Hi Graeme, I would be very keen to order a couple of your pcb’s, I’m a new member so unfortunately I can’t direct message you just yet?

Latest posts

Back