My little Beast (Updated - Panel Time)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
livingnote said:
Who knows, maybe Ptown and Volker would have a blast distributing it?
if I don't need to pack full kits ... ;) :D ;D
Lukas, you know I'm open to third party designers / products ;)

and I will come back to your exclusive front panels for the mastering 51x edition ;D ;D ;D
but first I need to shrink some Elmas :eek:

Wow man. Panel looks amazing. If you can arrange a small run and it's a reasonable price for panel + PCBs I'll take 2 for sure. Maybe 3. Great stuff.

Well - when I had the first GSSL done, I wanted lights. Then I saw all these cool upgrades and wanted
everything in one box. When I saw the mess that made, I decided to find a solution, because there was
no way I was going through that thing again. Two years on the Q project, and my chicken was cooked ;)

It was either "build it right" or not at all from there. Any time you save designing something is time you
waste building something, and though I originally did it for my personal advancement in the field, I would
rather make a high-price kit that rocks than send people through the mud getting a quickshot working.

Yeah absolutely - it's so ironic how we actually kick world market butt to the moon at spec
with our good old little DIY paws.

You know, when I hear them saying "DIY has gotten watered down" and stuff, I think...let'em.

We'll just keep building the cool stuff till the cows come home!

Ah and yeah re cheap vs. expensive - I don't pig out on prices, but I don't screw myself either.

Somewhere Mr. Electric bill has to be dealt with via electronics or I end up somewhere like Pizza Hut ;)

Oh and by the way - don't be surprised if I am a little reluctant to release something like this -
the chronicles are full of design guys doing something because they just wanted to tackle it,
and then first get screwed by not getting their cut while someone goes underground with their
stuff, and then get screwed a second time getting drowned in pissed-off and/or whiny support
mails they just flat don't have time to answer because they're designers.

So - more power to putting things together such that people can build things reliably on their
own, and because electronics is complicated, that means total documentation of the tiniest
step - and - some manner of guaranteeing that the guy who buys a kit can put it together
and it sounds just like on the designer's proto table, because the variables are taken out of
the process. That's the way this one's gonna go if I do the kit thing - half-assed stuff=notHere.

Are you using THAT I/O chips now or staying with "classic" opamp circuits?

Free still for up to rev6. Basically design the living daylights out of it with listening tests until it
behaves on awesome target...but pretty crammed with "hey can you etch this" at the moment ;-)

I just can't wait til someone puts it in next to any of the other countless commercial gssl derivatives and it blows it out of the water.

Well, the SSL is pretty special that way - it does instantaneous feed-forward and then goes into
a sidechain-internal feedback response that dances around the SC timing network.

In effect what you're getting is rapid transient-smashing on the incoming because the attack goes
full force, but then it does a time delay "self-disciplining" that makes it go less hard on the rest.

Highly intelligent system, you could conceivably get it to do 3 modes: Full-on unbridled feed forward,
"SSL Behavior", and then "Complete feedback".

i.e. - taking the brain out of the sidechain that makes the SSL what it is.

Wasn't there some fuss about Thrust modes, even if it's just a swatch of caps in parallel?

livingnote said:
Wasn't there some fuss about Thrust modes, even if it's just a swatch of caps in parallel?

people should stop using that confusing marketing term when it's just a combined low cut and high boost, both 2nd order shelves IIRC, kind of like a "tilt" filter. Calibrated just right it's so useful I would probably sell my clone if it didn't have this. Changes the boring standard SSL sound to something usable.

This is pretty awesome.  8)  I was originally thinking turbo was enough but I'm addicted to having lots of options!  looking forward to when this becomes available, good work!

Yeah - totally ;)

more.jpg

Latest posts

Back