My New 1U GSSL Design (AKA SB4000) RELEASED!!! - GOTO PAGE 9 FOR ORDERING INFO!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this thread. Looks very interesting.
I done with my 2010 version for 1RU as well, just waiting....
/btw, it is digital control ready, my friend working on software;
if we will find a way to keep low cost for digital control front panel, it will be proposed as well/.

Just a few questions.

If I like to use other box-there are few boxes already available...ho can I do it with your pcb's?

What is the purpose of 0 threshold trim? I did it as 1st April joke for MixBuzz500...
/absolutely useless due to threshold changes with ratio/
I'd like to see the schemo, there's a little difference between building from zero and
copying the clone like GSSL (or whatever ;) it can save some headache with revealing the errors after the run is in production.

All caps and IC's in one direction...is cool for builder, but /from my
very small experience/  how it comes out audio-wise? Audio is not digital-like thinking,
sometimes weird look means short traces, right ground plane and good separation.
Did you heard it/tested with analyzer? Hopefully you lucky enough to get right at the point,
but, my first 1RU Mixbuzz had 3 revisions and MixBuzz500 which is squezzed 1RU version
ended up with 4th revision till all small things were fixed... BTW, I had to change some sidechain stuff to keep thd twice down (control and full wave rectifier's signals were running too close).

Short question about bargraph meter. Do you found it useless to switch it L/R
instead of putting 2 bargraphs?

Well, all this is just curiosity :)

Scheeesh. Here we go again ^^^

Anyway...This unit sounds cool. Depending on price, of course, I'd probably be interested in a couple when they're all ready.

Keep up the good work!

Igor, I'm going to ask one time, very politely, that you no longer post in this thread.  This is the reason I had to start a new thread in the first place.  Thank you.

This is beautiful Ruckus!

looking forward to this

another vote for a blend control if you can manage it?

Ruckus, as a normal forum member, I'd like to build your version of GSSL,
just for collection, as you told me in pm you like to build Mixbuzz500,
and you always welcome, and all questions will be answered.
These were absolutely normal questions, without arguing etc. Let's go with good energies
and bring good, affordable, nice 1RU layouts, and let people choice!

Cool project!..Im v interested too. any ideas on price yet?

Igor, love your work man, but never had you down as jealous pants. ;)

I say lets build it then talk about it...i'm sure it will be great..as i'm sure yours will be too.

Pete

Grand Master Audio said:
Cool project!..Im v interested too. any ideas on price yet?

ruckus328 said:
Pricing still indetermined, I have a ballpark but I don't want to throw any numbers out until I get definate quotes on everything.  I'll have that sorted out soon.

;)

Hope all is well Pete, the panel work is awesome these days, wish I had time.....

Cheers,
Ruairi

Igor said:
These were absolutely normal questions, without arguing etc

No, they weren't.  You're playing your little games again.  I know, you know it, and everybody else knows it.  The fact that you're back here promoting your products on my thread and implying that mine will not work shows how disrespectful and unprofessional you are.  That's fine, you only hurt yourself by doing it, not me.  It actually makes me laugh, seriously.

That's fine though, I'll play your game this time and answer your questions:

Igor said:
If I like to use other box-there are few boxes already available...ho can I do it with your pcb's?

NO, of course you can't.  Not front panels anyways.  Take one look at my front panel and you can obviously see that.  It's a NEW design.  That means it's "no longer the old version".  It's impossible to add all of the features I've added and keep the same switch dimensions as Gyraf, it just won't work, there's no way, you know this.  But, that's why myself and/or a 3rd party will be offering front panels for my version as I already stated, which makes this question null and void.

Igor said:
What is the purpose of 0 threshold trim?

There isn't.  It was a typo.  Pot is for calibrating ratios, not threshold.  Ma bad.

Igor said:
I'd like to see the schemo, there's a little difference between building from zero and
copying the clone like GSSL (or whatever ;) it can save some headache with revealing the errors after the run is in production.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.  I think you may be implying that I'm not capable of doing this and my design will not work when I go to production.  If so, LMAO.  And again, with the "copying".  Which I find REALLY funny when your mixbuzz is nearly an EXACT copy and paste of the G Compressor schematic I have.  You even grabbed your name right off that schematic.  Ohh and I'll be sure to email you my schematic right away;)

Igor said:
very small experience/  how it comes out audio-wise? Audio is not digital-like thinking,
sometimes weird look means short traces, right ground plane and good separation.
Yes, it's VERY cool for the builder.  It's one of the many things that makes this an awesome DIY.  Even if it wasn't my deisgn, I can't wait to build one!  But sorry, no long traces here :(  Layout is as efficient as it gets.

Igor said:
Did you heard it/tested with analyzer? Hopefully you lucky enough to get right at the point,
but, my first 1RU Mixbuzz had 3 revisions and MixBuzz500 which is squezzed 1RU version
ended up with 4th revision till all small things were fixed... BTW, I had to change some sidechain stuff to keep thd twice down (control and full wave rectifier's signals were running too close).
Apparently you didn't bother to read my post.  No, I haven't tested it yet, I'm waiting for my prototype boards.  THEN I can test them.  That's how these things work.  I'm sorry it took you so many tries to get yours to work, that sucks.  Hopefully your new 1U has better luck.  If you need any help or advice with layout basics, let me know.  I've been doing PCB Layout professionally for a living for over a decade, so I'm sure I can help and give tips with the problems you're having.

Igor said:
No, I don't find it useless at all.  On the contrary I think it's awesome.  And it seems to have worked for chameleon labs just fine.  But this is even better because you can monitor levels and GR at the same time.  There wasn't enough room (from both a board and front panel perspective) to do a dual meter, I would have liked to.  And it also would have added another chunk of $ to the board/component costs, and component costs were a factor to me.  That doesn't mean I made any "cheap" desicions, it just means I made smart decisions.  I also thought it was better to have them switchable than to sum them and show the greater of the 2.  If I would have done that then you'd have no way of knowing if something was screwed up on one of your channels.  So it was a compromise I had to make.  That being said, a mono level meter is MUCH better than NO meter.

Just in-case you will like to edit again, this was an aggressive answer.

No, they weren't.  You're playing your little games again.  I know, you know it, and everybody else knows it.  The fact that you're back here promoting your products on my thread and implying that mine will not work shows how disrespectful and unprofessional you are.  That's fine, you only hurt yourself by doing it, not me.  It actually makes me laugh, seriously.

That's fine though, I'll play your game this time and answer your questions:

Quote from: Igor on 2010-06-11, 20:43:22

NO, of course you can't.  Not front panels anyways.  Take one look at my front panel and you can obviously see that.  It's a NEW design.  That means it's "no longer the old version".  It's impossible to add all of the features I've added and keep the same switch dimensions as Gyraf, it just won't work, there's no way, you know this.  But, that's why myself and/or a 3rd party will be offering front panels for my version as I already stated, which makes this question null and void.

What is the purpose of 0 threshold trim?

There isn't.  It was a typo.  Pot is for calibrating ratios, not threshold.  Ma bad.

copying the clone like GSSL (or whatever Wink it can save some headache with revealing the errors after the run is in production.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.  I think you may be implying that I'm not capable of doing this and my design will not work when I go to production.  If so, LMAO.  And again, with the "copying".  Which I find REALLY funny when your mixbuzz is nearly an EXACT copy and paste of the G Compressor schematic I have.  You even grabbed your name right off that schematic.  Ohh and I'll be sure to email you my schematic right away;)

very small experience/  how it comes out audio-wise? Audio is not digital-like thinking,
Yes, it's VERY cool for the builder.  It's one of the many things that makes this an awesome DIY.  Even if it wasn't my deisgn, I can't wait to build one!  But sorry, no long traces here Sad  Layout is as efficient as it gets.

Apparently you didn't bother to read my post.  No, I haven't tested it yet, I'm waiting for my prototype boards.  THEN I can test them.  That's how these things work.  I'm sorry it took you so many tries to get yours to work, that sucks.  Hopefully your new 1U has better luck.  If you need any help or advice with layout basics, let me know.  I've been doing PCB Layout professionally for a living for over a decade, so I'm sure I can help and give tips with the problems you're having.

No, I don't find it useless at all.  On the contrary I think it's awesome.  And it seems to have worked for chameleon labs just fine.  But this is even better because you can monitor levels and GR at the same time.  There wasn't enough room (from both a board and front panel perspective) to do a dual meter, I would have liked to.  And it also would have added another chunk of $ to the board/component costs, and component costs were a factor to me.  That doesn't mean I made any "cheap" desicions, it just means I made smart decisions.  I also thought it was better to have them switchable than to sum them and show the greater of the 2.  If I would have done that then you'd have no way of knowing if something was screwed up on one of your channels.  So it was a compromise I had to make.  That being said, a mono level meter is MUCH better than NO meter.

Well, instead of "playing" the "little games"
(you started it first, anyway), I will stay off.
Both layouts great, whatever.
Btw, revisions is not the matter of layout BUT improving.
I know guys with way of thinking like yours, if this works-leave it.
Thanx about explanation on how does this works.
My version can fit into all GSSL cases available today, and can be done for
different front panel measures as well as it is digital control ready.

Wish you good luck with testing, without any "games" etc.

/ This was my 1176th post!!!!
I'd prefer to spent it on something better than politics :)

Igor said:
Just in-case you will like to edit again, this was an aggressive answer.

YES!  It was an aggressive answer, apperently it was not agressive enough, because you still, STILL, proceed to promote and talk about your mixbust in your last post.  This is not the mixbust thread.  I advise you to remember that.

Igor said:
(you started it first, anyway)

Are you serious?  Seriously?  I mean..........really??????  What are you smoking???

Igor said:
I'd prefer to spent it on something better than politics :)

Then give it a rest already.

The idea of all the truly useful features on one board that is easy to build and trouble free is a great one.
If you are still in the stage of design where things like this can be addressed, one of the big problems with the "old" version is that the traces & pads are too close together, there will almost always be a short somewhere that will take many hours to find... if the new version could solve this issue, it would be nice.
BTW, the "turbo" is actually the "real" design, it is the single summed detector that is the mod.
I find most of the side-chain filter useless, other than maybe one setting around 125hz. You may want to poll this to see if you can reduce useless features while keeping wanted ones.
The "blend" feature idea I like.
I think a hard Bypass is useless as well, but the "in/out" bypass is essential. I have built some w/ hard bypass and had to remove it.

nielsk said:
The idea of all the truly useful features on one board that is easy to build and trouble free is a great one.
If you are still in the stage of design where things like this can be addressed, one of the big problems with the "old" version is that the traces & pads are too close together, there will almost always be a short somewhere that will take many hours to find... if the new version could solve this issue, it would be nice.
BTW, the "turbo" is actually the "real" design, it is the single summed detector that is the mod.
I find most of the side-chain filter useless, other than maybe one setting around 125hz. You may want to poll this to see if you can reduce useless features while keeping wanted ones.
The "blend" feature idea I like.
I think a hard Bypass is useless as well, but the "in/out" bypass is essential. I have built some w/ hard bypass and had to remove it.

Well, started polling on this thing about 2 months ago.  Unfortunately it's well past the point to making any core design changes.  There were already massive logistics with pulling off what I did.  At times, I didn't think it would be possible, not in the size/form factor/2 layers I did it in.  This is the most compact, most feature loaded design that exists.  If you were to add up the size of all the existing boards involved, it would be significantly bigger.  But that aside, I think it's at the threshold, to add anything more on board would result in what will become a board so large it is no not very practical and not fit in the small 1U chassis's, and will also drive board costs up significantly.  C&B is a nice feature, and the only thing not incorporated into the design, but a line had to be drawn somewhere, as if you look at the size and density of the board, and the front panel, you'll see the difficulty & the logistics of incorporating that as well.  I mean, it could be done, but something on the front panel would have to go or you'd have to start going to multifunction pushbuttons, and board would have to get bigger.  This is one of those things where you can't make "everybody" happy.  What's useful is a matter of opinion, but everybody has the right to theirs.  There will always be this person or that person that likes/dislikes/wants this or that feature though, I did the best I could, and it wasn't easy, believe me. 

All .1" spacing pas have oval pads to allow maximum spacing between pads to prevent possible shorting.  Routing is intense in some spots, not really any way around that.  But tried to keep pad/trace spacing the maximum possible.  Traces are covered in soldermask though.

Opinions seemed divided on ssc/turbo, only way to make everyone happy - this has both.  As well as metering and plenty other bells and whistles as described.  Since you guys seem to want C&B, I can add provisions to easily incorporate an external C&B board.  There's multiple ways to do it one the front panel, (ie:, snap off the bargraph, change the turbo/bypass pushbuttons to the small toggles I'm using for the ext in/bargraph and put them vertically, this would free up enough room for the C&B knob, or you can choose to not install the hpf switch, if you use the solder tab style pots like in gyraf's design, you can panel mount it and it will still clear the board)  So, plenty of options to DIY and customize this to your likings.

Curious why you had to remove your hard bypass?  I've already proto'd mine and have it wired into one of my GSSL's.  No issues at all.

ruckus328 said:
Are you serious?  Seriously?  I mean..........really??????  What are you smoking???

Don't feed the troll. I see how bad he must piss you off. He does everyone's head in just the same. Try to ignore him completely. Hopeless case. A bad apple unfortunately.

Don't make the mistake of questioning his designs. I did that once, and it ended up just as you did here. Too bad he now attacks projects that aren't his to begin with.  :(

From the way it's looking, my friends who've been asking me to build them some GSSLs might just be able to buy my two completed ones. Then I'll build a pair of these for myself! 8)

An external Crush n' Blend board would be cool. I don't know squat about it, but everyone seems to like it so I'm sure I would too! I should really look into what that's all about!

One of these teamed up with my 169s should make for a good time on my 2buss!

If it's easy to add pads for the external crush-n-blend, it's probably wise to keep that in. People will want to add it eventually and it would make life easier to have pads already there.  How would one incorporate an external sidechain with this board? Sorry if it's one more headache...

Sí señor... not 100% sure how it's done on the original, but I guess an external signal fed to the sidechain?

mitsos said:
Sí señor... not 100% sure how it's done on the original, but I guess an external signal fed to the sidechain?

Return_1.jpg

Return_2.jpg

;)

Back