Name of buttons with the flipping color indicator inside??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

athnony

GDIY Supporter
Does anyone know the name of those clear push button switches that have a colored indicator that pops up/flips around inside when engaged?? Google hasn't been helpful and I don't even know what to search at this point.

Here's a photo of the adr scamp units with the same type of button for reference... I don't need that exact one, but would like some for an upcoming project. Thanks!

scamp s01.jpeg

Those switches are often called "Schadow" switches due to the name of the company that originally manufactured them. Currently, C&K switch company sells them as part of their "F" series.

https://www.ckswitches.com/media/1402/fpush.pdf
Because of so many possible variants, it can be difficult to find an exact color combo from the usual distributors.

Bri

Does anyone know the name of those clear push button switches that have a colored indicator that pops up/flips around inside when engaged?? Google hasn't been helpful and I don't even know what to search at this point.

Here's a photo of the adr scamp units with the same type of button for reference... I don't need that exact one, but would like some for an upcoming project. Thanks!

View attachment 117800
I believe I have some. How many do you need?

Off topic:

I like those switches. Will keep in mind for a future build...

Entirely off topic:
'lampless wink' -- a euphemism for flatulence...

Will test it (!) as a phrase (!) on people.

Ohhh jeez Script :D

Its funny that theres a reference to the eye in the German description of those switches ,
If you look closely at them they do open very much like eyelids .
There used on the monitor section of Studer 169 .

I have always heard of thema called winkies. I got some for a clients Audix from Mouser a couple of years ago
They are just a button that fits on the front of a Schadow switch (now made by Toneluck or CK).

See here for some example part numbers they come in other colours too but I'm not going to do all the leg work for you.
Mouser Part No 611-F11010112
Mouser Part No 611-F08010102

Last edited:
IIRC, the winkie switch caps require that the switch behind the front panel be attached to an "accessory" metal bracket that had a hole to engage the actuator for the winkie function.

Schadow switches using a plain colored cap do not require the metal bracket.

Bri

In our country (Switzerland) they were called "Schlafaugen" (“sleeping eyes”). Enclosed is an excerpt from the local catalog at the time.

ns

Attachments

• ESD-Katalog-12_Schadow_F66-F69.pdf
    958 KB · Views: 0
IIRC, the winkie switch caps require that the switch behind the front panel be attached to an "accessory" metal bracket that had a hole to engage the actuator for the winkie function.

Schadow switches using a plain colored cap do not require the metal bracket.

Bri
This is absolutely correct, you need the bracket because part of the wink-eye mechanism hooks to it (which is what closes the eye when the switch is in the "out" position). FWIW, I have a ton of brackets in many, many different configurations, NOS, if anyone's looking.

Or you can do what API did originally and loop a bit of wire over the hook and solder it to one of the switch terminals.
Also on another board, for the group switches, they drilled a hole in the pcb to push the hook into, then glued it in place!

Latest posts

Back