Need your lights for a full parametric EQ !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schockert.adrien

Hi everyone !

I'd like to create a full parametric EQ.
The idea is to insert an eq in a summing box which would already be set (no knobs).
The point is that I don't have the knowledge to design my own schematics and pcb's.
May you guys have few schematics to propose?
I'd like to understand how to create a variable q,
Decide which frequency will be boosted or attenuated,
How to manage the gain and the output volume.

I hope you'll have a second to answer my request.

Get the "active filter cookbook" off of Amazon, that will get you started. Look up bi-quad and state variable filters. Download LTspice for experimentation.

Study hard and you'll find the answers to your questions :)

Ahm... Create the EQ. Well, dats not so hard.

Second to answer? Weeks and say nothing.

Different amps, caps, designs sounds different. Design and ergonomics is tradeoff as well.

You have over 10 parametric EQ designs over here. Now, it is your time to read, read, read.
Understanding schematic is like a Zen. Especially analog. Meditate on schematics.
After all, electronics is just a lego.

Every possible thing (almost) is explained in Horovitz/Hill, Art Of Electronics, this is your guide to meditation and Bible ;)

Especially for EQ's: Rane white paper is helpful. Google.

Take a look on Urei545, Barry Porter EQ's, Valley People Maxi-Q,  check out Focusrte ISA; they are state variable designs.

Sontec is based on T-filters.

Take a look on SSL channel EQ (there are 4 versions at least);check out Filtec.

Listen all of them and you pretty fast will find out what do you like in every design.

Build some. Check different components. Before starting to listen, check out with good audio analyzer.
Liusten at equal levels, "insert" circuit with relays is must.

Do much as possible blind equal level tests. Well, some time, and you have the EQ you want.

(edit: haha, my 2134 post. With some weird audio humor, op...!!!

Back