Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

Help Support GroupDIY:

Purplenoise

Yes, thanks, I have made my share as well!
As I mentioned, I can inject tone directly into the JFET or to the capsule front pad and it comes out of the preamp the mic is connected to nice and clear, this should confirm the mic circuit is functioning correctly from the capsule connection to the XLR pins
Oh I see…missed that part. My next guess is something is shorting the backplate but that’s already mentioned

catapultedplastic

I wonder whether there will be huge difference in perceived sound(I am aware of the preamp and ADC characteristics) if I replace the high precision Vishay Dale's resistors with ordinary metal film ones. Vishay Dale resistors are impossible/expensive to be found, and if I order from Mouser, the costs very high. Please, I need to know from experienced DIYers here.
I am not an expert DIYer, only want to build this excellent project, and VERY SMALL differences in the noise and frequencies isn't my big concern.

wave existence

trapped in the zohar
anyone got mouser links for the toggles used for the switch pcb? guessing they are SPDT on on and on off on, cant seem to wade through all the switches to find the correct orientation, thanks.

wave existence

trapped in the zohar
ok so i noticed there is a place to solder? a wire to a hookup on the backplate on one side. my gut says dont put any heat on this sensitive part. any recommendations?

fauxjazz

Oops, my fault you asked very clearly. ;)

I'm using two K67 type capsules matched by Dave Thomas at AAMicrophones. They are essentially the same as those sold by Microphone Parts, but they are re-skinned with 6 micron Mylar. They should have slightly less high frequency lift in the 7-9kHz range as a typical K67 type capsule. Since I already have two "dark" versions using K47 type capsules, I'm hoping this pair has slightly more "air".

More sonic crayons to add to the box!
Hiya, I'm in the process of building a pair of U87s and wondered how you rate the AA capsules (if you used them)? The bodies I have are quite small, so I think I am going to go for cardioid only (no switches/single back plate). Also considering the microphone parts K87 as I'm trying to keep costs down. Many thanks.

Last edited:

Matador

I thought they were fine, although I found when using them I needed to low-pass shelving filter them as their high end was a bit exaggerated (I LPF'ed 3db at 10 kHz if memory serves).

Once I switched to Eric Heiserman's 87 capsule I never looked back however. Both of those mikes record perfectly.

benqbasic

Hiya, I'm in the process of building a pair of U87s and wondered how you rate the AA capsules (if you used them)? The bodies I have are quite small, so I think I am going to go for cardioid only (no switches/single back plate). Also considering the microphone parts K87 as I'm trying to keep costs down. Many thanks.
See 3u audio for a good cheap K87 capsule.

wave existence

trapped in the zohar
ok so i had the front/back diaphragms mixed up. now i get sound but its very faint, have to crank my pre up all the way to hear anything. also when i switch to between different patterns there is a kind of loud stuttering, any ideas?

doqmemory

ok so i had the front/back diaphragms mixed up. now i get sound but its very faint, have to crank my pre up all the way to hear anything. also when i switch to between different patterns there is a kind of loud stuttering, any ideas?
Have you checked that the transformer is wired correctly? Very weak signal is a symptom of wiring the transformer backwards.

Latest posts