Neutrik 'Timbre Plug' - WTF?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

http://uk.mouser.com/new/neutrik/neutriknp2rx/

Curious how it works. Haven't had a chance to Google it yet. A Zobel of some type?

I would bet different capacitance, reacting as different length cables with the inductance of the coil, the 'neutral has the peak from mic and cable, then adding more capacitance will take the peak to lower freqs.

JS

A guitar  is  Rs, Ls,Cs and the interaction with the guitar cable and input of the amp or effect will change the EQ and tone

When I build effects I often make a sim of the guitar or bass cable and circuit to SEE the EQ change

It changes with the volume control the volume alone changes the tone as it turned you don't just change volume when you turn the control with a passive guitar or bass.

If you check out Diystompboxes you might find some of my posts and sims with the guitar and cable added to the circuit.

If you are old enough you might remember phono preamps sometimes had switched cap loading and sometimes switched resistive loading for phono cartridges

Gus said:
If you are old enough you might remember phono preamps sometimes had switched cap loading and sometimes switched resistive loading for phono cartridges

Yup, I was a big phono preamp guy and used to sell a switchable capacitor termination kit. 24, 47, 100, and 200 pF. So 0-375 pF in 25 pF resolution. It was remarkable how few audiophools actually paid attention to proper termination. AFAIK the MM carts were generally happy with 47k resistive, but C was adjustable. I'll bet most of the mojo people think they heard from audio cables was simple cable capacitance, and the typical cables were significant.

JR

Back