WTF is wrong with people

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's funny. I was in the US last month and a friend pointed out to me more than once how (he thought) in the US concrete blocks are used for roads, so that you can simply replace a broken element. :LOL:
Not sure what you mean by "block" but before continuous pour technology was viable concrete roads were poured in segmented slabs 10-12' wide and 15-20' long. These can be removed and repoured. Continuous pour can be cut and replaced if there are local failures due to voids or substandard mix issues. Concrete is a very energy intensive material to make, but done right it can last for a very long time.

Asphalt has poor wear characteristics under heavy (freight truck) loads, gets very soft when the weather is hot (a large part of the US experiences daytime summer temps over 90F for a few months) which allows ruts to develop, and as it ages becomes brittle which allows cracks to develop. Water intrusion through cracks into the roadbed leads to further failure (alligatoring, depressions, potholes). Asphalt is easier to patch, but longevity isn't great. It's also made from fossil fuel sources.

There are actually roads made of concrete blocks as wells as made from asphalt in both countries. The earliest Autobahnen (the ones the Nazis build) were in fact concrete blocks, but nowadays it's mostly asphalt.

It is a little crazy to try to characterize all US highways as just one way. We have a pretty large country with somewhat different variants regionally.

Speaking of roads I find it noteworthy that the PA overpass that was closed a couple weeks ago by a tanker truck accidental fire has been reopened with temporary roadways already. Good job guys.

JR

I don't like lecturing people about their home countries, but I experience that here often.
===
Germany is the major manufacturing/export engine for the EU.... right now they are suffering from high energy costs (a major cost factor for manufacturers), high inflation, sluggish local and export market economies.
===
Good luck, IMO the world is still recovering from the 2007/2008 debt market collapse. It is interesting to observe how different countries are dealing with their local central banking strategies. While liquidity injected into the economy is fungible, the tide is going out so check who isn't wearing trunks.

JR
Thanks JR.
What we experience Here in Germoney is frustrating for many people. In my case, as a retired person, it has consequences that are acceptable, but still brutal. For Young and educated people, they will Take consequences. We have to compete with other countries. The brain drain is massive. Just Imagine, a Football Team which continually looses its best Players and can only engage third class citizens. How Long will that Team Play in premier League? Many know the answer already.

Our radical political Party AFD is now Second strongest in the polls. I predict, it May Take another years to rule For them, but they will rule one day. We will See a great Change in the Heart of Europe, because those radical Changes which actually are initiated will result in a strong opposite movement. Its a Clash of left and right political spectrum.

Thanks JR.
What we experience Here in Germoney is frustrating for many people. In my case, as a retired person, it has consequences that are acceptable, but still brutal. For Young and educated people, they will Take consequences. We have to compete with other countries. The brain drain is massive. Just Imagine, a Football Team which continually looses its best Players and can only engage third class citizens. How Long will that Team Play in premier League? Many know the answer already.

Our radical political Party AFD is now Second strongest in the polls. I predict, it May Take another years to rule For them, but they will rule one day. We will See a great Change in the Heart of Europe, because those radical Changes which actually are initiated will result in a strong opposite movement. Its a Clash of left and right political spectrum.
Germany has a significant history. We have seen a lot of change recently under Merkel. We (I?) don't hear much about the new guy/girl?

Good luck.

JR

Germany has a significant history. We have seen a lot of change recently under Merkel. We (I?) don't hear much about the new guy/girl?

Good luck.

JR
Merkel has put a strong burden on this country which led to the lost elections.
History will teach that she was a weak Leader facing many Problems to which she reacted with the wrong decisions. Thats now Consensus in German society and even the reputable Press writes that.
We see a strong political movement towards right. The Actual Leaders of AFD are Alice Weidel and Mr. Chrupalla. Nobody knows If they will make it to rule Germany, but they are as radical as the Green Party is in ecological themes, when it comes to "Germany First".

Last edited:
Merkel has put a strong burden on this country which led to the lost elections.
Actually Merkel won her elections. But when she chose not to run again it turned out she was too successful during her time in office in eliminating the competition within her own party. So they put up an absolutely awful candidate and lost.

History will teach that she was a weak Leader facing many Problems to which she reacted with the wrong decisions. Thats now Consensus in German society and even the reputable Press writes that.

I don't think that this is the consensus. But her governing style certainly was leading from behind (first see how the wind is blowing) and make sure to stay in power rather than fight for something unpopular but important and loose. In 2005 she ran on a neoliberal platform but governed by championing centrist social democratic policies.

We see a strong political movement towards right. The Actual Leaders of AFD are Alice Weidel and Mr. Chrupalla. Nobody knows If they will make it to rule Germany, but they are as radical as the Green Party is in ecological themes, when it comes to "Germany First".
Things must go terribly wrong to get those guys into power. But it's not impossible, things have gone terribly wrong before. Proliferation of untruths via social media platforms certainly plays a role...

A property crisis here in Ireland and years of 'Austerity' undermining the least well off has seen a sisemic shift on the political front .
Theres real anger at current administration , which is a coalition of the former two main opposing political parties of the last 100 years , since the formation of the state .
The current prime minister of Ireland never got a mandate from the electorate as leader of the country , instead he was shoehorned into it by the party top brass .
His approval rating has been on a downward trend from the moment he took office .
Sinn Fein , a political wing of the IRA has seen its share of the vote rise massively where its now the most popular party in the state by a distance , but the public havent had a chance to vote in an election because of a pact between the two other parties .

We have close to 100,000 Ukrainians in temporary housing here now ,and the plan is to continue to use the instabillity in eastern europe to swell the popluation .
They expect small insular rural communities to cope with an influx ,likewise more marginalised city districts have seen protests at the places where refugees are housed .

Police and defence force recruitment has dropped back to an unsustainable level ,
The navy is all but up on blocks in the dry dock , unable to patrol our vast coast , meanwhile the country as a whole now has one of the highest rates of consumptiion of cocaine of any westernised country on the planet .

Meanwhile the pricks in power are busy bringing in drastic new laws regarding what they term 'hate speech' , theres no doubt in my mind these laws will be used to suppress political dissent .

Luckily the EU has stepped in regarding the use of biometric recognition by the police , its been going on for years already ,without specific legislation governing its use , its led to serious distrust of law enforcement , which in turn only makes their job harder to do .

Its all playing out like a self fulfilling prophecy , its not if ,its when .

Actually Merkel won her elections. But when she chose not to run again it turned out she was too successful during her time in office in eliminating the competition within her own party. So they put up an absolutely awful candidate and lost.

I don't think that this is the consensus. But her governing style certainly was leading from behind (first see how the wind is blowing) and make sure to stay in power rather than fight for something unpopular but important and loose. In 2005 she ran on a neoliberal platform but governed by championing centrist social democratic policies.

Things must go terribly wrong to get those guys into power. But it's not impossible, things have gone terribly wrong before. Proliferation of untruths via social media platforms certainly plays a role...
Things already have gone terribly wrong.
AFD is now Second strongest Party in Germany. Everyday those fools from the coalition do make them stronger. Mark my words.But I don't want to discuss politics with other Germans Here.

Its precisely the same thing were seeing here Walter ,
People who were voted in on a liberalist ticket are bringing in policies more akin to totalitarianism ,its fanning the flames of discontent on the other side of the fence .

I took a trip down to my local civic amienity site yesterday just to drop off a few empty bottles and some electronic odds and ends , When I looked in the metal basket with the electronic waste there were two Dyson handheld vaccum cleaners , one in almost new condition the other a bit more used . They still even had power in the battery , but little or no suction. These things retail at around 500 euros a piece , so I decided to take them home for a closer look . I gave a good cleaning out to the filters and internal chambers with compressed air , put a charge on the batteries and low and behold Im now the proud owner of two fine fully functional cordless vaccum cleaners with all the attachments . This new lamps for old craic is landing the human race up shit creek without a paddle , WTF is wrong with people nowadays , dumping perfectly good stuff without even at least having someone take a look first , internet/marketing and the need to have the latest and greatest new thing has made us more wasteful than ever before and its worse its getting ,not better . Thanks to Thundberg a bunch of petulant pukes are now on a mission to save the planet by letting air out of the tires of SUV's and jeeps
https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/suv-tyres-6094690-Jun2023/
I have found that there are some people that are great with the stock market, that SERIOUSLY, LITERALLY, ACTUALLY, do not know which end of a screw driver to hold. And of course the other way around. To them, the vacuum "obviously" broke so why keep it around...

One thing I did gain from COVID. I now wear PJs almost 24/7. I was quite upset when I asked the people at NAMM if they had a policy that you had to wear pants at the show, and they not only acted surprised, but said yes.

I didnt allow covid to affect my dress code ,
Lately I got a great blue fire retardant/anti static boiler suit ,
Its made in Holland ,so I needed to fold up the legs for it to fit my shorter stature ,
Im renovating a property just now so Im upto my eyeballs in shit,muck dirt and dust ,
Im keeping the boiler suit as Sunday best , my old jeans and tshirts do just fine for the dirty work .

There has been a craze here in the last few years , the yummy mommies in their Pj's dropping the kids off at school , a buddy of mine who lives on the outskirts of the capitol pulled his kid from the school he was going to over the parents unsatisfactory dress code .

I didnt allow covid to affect my dress code ,
Just recovering from Covid second time round. This time it only knocked me out for a couple of days but I took the rest f the week to shake it off completely. Feeling better today.

There has been a craze here in the last few years , the yummy mommies in their Pj's dropping the kids off at school....

I could not stand them when my son was in primary (long time ago). Plus the mommies were not yummy but more like mummy.

I took no vaccines , I was exposed to covid inadvertantly on several ocassions ,
I stopped worrying about it a long time ago now ,
I do accept many here are older and perhaps with underlying conditions maybe taking the vaccine was the right choice at the time with the info available , its every persons right to choose ,
but it seemed like the 95% here who agreed to take that crap wanted to impose it upon everyone who didnt take it .
subsequently we've seen serious cracks appearing in the foundations due to the way covid was handled . Ive had it on good authority that covid was not a naturally occuring disease ,but something from a lab at least a couple of years ago , most of the 95% who took the vax are still having trouble accepting that , and now sure as shite evidence is starting to stack up that the vaccines might have caused more problems than it solved .

I took no vaccines , I was exposed to covid inadvertantly on several ocassions ,
I stopped worrying about it a long time ago now ,
I do accept many here are older and perhaps with underlying conditions maybe taking the vaccine was the right choice at the time with the info available , its every persons right to choose ,
so far we agree
but it seemed like the 95% here who agreed to take that crap wanted to impose it upon everyone who didnt take it .
huh?
subsequently we've seen serious cracks appearing in the foundations due to the way covid was handled .
There are "crack"s in how everything has been handled by the gubmint.
Ive had it on good authority that covid was not a naturally occuring disease ,but something from a lab at least a couple of years ago ,
Right now Dr Fauci is being questioned for his complicity in funding GOF research, and conspiring to suppress the lab leak theory.
most of the 95% who took the vax are still having trouble accepting that
again huh?
, and now sure as shite evidence is starting to stack up that the vaccines might have caused more problems than it solved .
I haven't seen/heard that either... While side effects have been down played, rather than openly highlighted like with TV commercials for medicine

There are copious unintended consequences from the mismanaged lock downs and compromised childhood education. Kids continue to suffer and fall behind.

JR

so far we agree

huh?

There are "crack"s in how everything has been handled by the gubmint.

Right now Dr Fauci is being questioned for his complicity in funding GOF research, and conspiring to suppress the lab leak theory.

again huh?

I haven't seen/heard that either... While side effects have been down played, rather than openly highlighted like with TV commercials for medicine

There are copious unintended consequences from the mismanaged lock downs and compromised childhood education. Kids continue to suffer and fall behind.

JR
I took the jab, twice. The first time it was almost mandatory, the RH department asked me "please email us a copy of your vaccination voucher"

........but it seemed like the 95% here who agreed to take that crap wanted to impose it upon everyone who didnt take it .
How did you come to that 95% figure?

95% who took the vax are still having trouble accepting that , and now sure as shite evidence is starting to stack up that the vaccines might have caused more problems than it solved .
I am not sure about your 95% but everybody I know took the vaccine, and all is well and sound now, and I have seen no evidence to the contrary. I took the vax twice along with the flue jab and in my case it solved more problems and caused none.

Last edited:
I had a shop class in 8th grade
I learned something I never forgot...they had kiln heated sheet metal soldering IRONS my iron slipped out of it's wooden handle...I have NEVER picked up a red soldering iron since 😀

I had a shop class in 8th grade
I learned something I never forgot...they had kiln heated sheet metal soldering IRONS my iron slipped out of it's wooden handle...I have NEVER picked up a red soldering iron since 😀
I learned how to solder at home building Lafayette radio kits. My earliest memory was of a soldering "gun"
31JBaBYQI9L._AC_.jpg

Of course learning which end of a classic iron to hold, is a very old joke.
===
One thing we learned in shop class was what happens if you put a golf ball in the coal fire 🤔 (kids don't do that).

JR

Latest posts

Back