Neve 1290 build completed!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks wolfgang

I have a strange problem
from the PSU 68V instead of 48V ( is it normal?)
the two 6k81 resistor are necessary to drop down voltage from 68v to 48v?
Thanks

they are not there to drop voltage from 68 to 48!
Your PSU should put out 48V! 48V are connected to the microphone pin2 and pin3 via this 2 6K8 resistors.
I think you have to check youre PSU!

regards,
Wolfgang

Do you have the specs for the psu?

I think when you calculate 100mA per channel your safe!
Somewhere in this thread is more info on that. Do a search!

regars,
Wolfgang

wolfgang said:
Do a search!

+1

JLM's ACDC is perfect for this project and will do up to 4 channels(modified), 2 channels stock. You'll see when you search, that lots of guys use JLM's stuff here. Joe is very helpful too.

hello!
i worked hard on my build, i didn't find what was going wrong i became crazy ???! then…
you know my first problem was i had more level on pin 5 on the output transformer than on pin 8… on all my preamps! (i did 4)

i tryed to change the wiring of the output transformer : i linked 6 and 8 and put the 1,5k + 0,01u between pin 7 and 5 so 7 and 5 become my output..

and now i have the same level on pin 5 and 7!!!!!!! so i think it's good!?

do you think it's possible carnhill did the same error on my 4 VT9049, do you think i could keep it like that?

Both 5 and 7 are in phase with each other so you no longer have a balanced output.

You should wire it as normal.... the problem is probably the way you are measuring.

If pins 6 & 7 are connected together as is usually done.... pin5 is the "hot" and pin 8 is the "cold"...... little happy electrons that flow into pin 5 go through the winding and pop out at pin 8.... a "perfect" balanced output....

However, the winding has no connection to any ground so is completely floating..... if you measure the voltage at pin 5 or pin 8 with respect to ground you will get nonsense.... you can only measure the output from pin 8 to pin 5... ie across the winding....

If the transformer were centre tapped then pin 5 and pin 8 would be equal and opposite.... (eg if pin6/7 were grounded)..... but then the balance accuracy depends on winding accuracy.... so it is better left floating.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

ok,
i'm so sorry about my mistake!  :-X
so in fact everything goes well with my preamps!
now i will know that i can't measure everything, i must think aboud the floatting ground!
thank you ! :)

adrian said:
ok,
i'm so sorry about my mistake!  :-X
so in fact everything goes well with my preamps!
now i will know that i can't measure everything, i must think aboud the floatting ground!
thank you ! :)

Hi Adrian,

You should wire it exactly like my assembly guide (and not like your picture); there's a good chance it'll work the first time: http://s3.amazonaws.com/EZ1290/assembly4.pdf

M.

I guys,
Very great job for all these preamps.

Madriaanse : Are you still selling some PCB for this Neve1290, me and some friend around me would like to build 16 preamps.

Thanks.

Yes, 8 for me, for drum and live recording (I tried the 1073 on the snare drum, it sounds great ;D). Others are for 2 friends (4 each).

Drille said:
Madriaanse : Are you still selling some PCB for this Neve1290, me and some friend around me would like to build 16 preamps.

Hello, you sound like quite the ambitious builder! :) When building multiple channel units I would recommend putting 4 in a 2U box. This seems to be the cleanest way to go. re: boards, email me at: martin_adriaanse (at) yahoo -dot- com

best,

M.

why dont you soldered straight to pcb???
Its a pcb mount switch it dont have solder eyelets!

Think twice.

.02 cents

herrmann said:
Is it a bad idea to put some ribbon cable between the grayhill and the pcb ?

Yes, for several reasons:
1: it will be a a pain, if you HAVE TO go this route, I'd recommend using a 3X12 with solder eyelets
2: it will be a waste of time
3: it's another set of (soldered) connections

Best,

M.

Hey there.  I just built a two channel version of this, and one channel seems to be working fine.  But when trying to bias the second channel, my output shows up as a fairly complex waveform rather than a sine wave.  Also, changing the gain doesn't affect it's level at all.  Everything appears to be wired up exactly as the other channel.  I am going to go over it carefully and see if I shorted something somewhere, but does anyone have an idea of what this problem could be, so I have a starting point?  Thanks!  I'm really excited that at least one channel works though!

Latest posts

Back